Re: Gregg & Indy Sean, and any other Indy Hat Ribbon Maniacs! More Ribbon Mania!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Sean from 206.67.74.177 on May 23, 2001 at 13:29:30:

In Reply to: Gregg & Indy Sean, and any other Indy Hat Ribbon Maniacs! More Ribbon Mania! posted by Tony Parker on May 23, 2001 at 02:06:32:

Answers to your questions...

: 1.) Do you remove the hat lining to sew on the new ribbon.... i.e. do you sew through the hat! What does tack sewing mean? Are there any pics anywhere on the Net that can describe it in more detail?

Yes, I remove the lining first. I sew right throught the hat itself to the other side. Tacking the ribbon basically means puttin stitches to attach the ribbon to the hat on the top and bottom of the ribbon every few inches around the hat, as supposed to sewing the entire edge to the hat. ONLY TACK, you don't need to sew the entire edge! I've never seen it done this way. I don't know any pics on the net to show it but it's simple: put the ribbon where you want it to go and usse safety pins to hold it tightly in place. I recommend putting the savety pins (about four or five) equidistantally around the crown holding the ribbon in place, and putting the pins where you want the stitches to be. Then, remove each pin individually and replace it with a stitch. I take the needle and poke it back and forth through the hat about 7-10 times before I finish the stitch. Strat where the bow is and move around the hat so the ribbon stays tight. Don't do one stitch on one side, the switch to the other side, or the ribbon will become loose.

: 2.) Are there pics anywhere on the net that show close up how to arrange the bow for a ROTLA style hat ribbon Bow? The HJ bow seems different, and the Fed and Indiana Miller are also different. Any comments?

I used my HJ bow for reference when making the bows on my hats. It is a double bow and is very simple to make. You don't have to actually tie a bow-it's not constructed that way. It is just folded over on it self and sewn into the shape of a bow, with the center (knot) of the bow being a separate piece, also folded over on itself. All this is a lot simpler than it seems-it's just difficult to write but if you see, it's very simple. The double bow (rear only for authenticity) is also simple. It's just folding it over on it self one more time in the rear. Take a look at a cheap hat's ribbon to see what I mean about construction of the bow, and you'll see it's very simply made. Any bozo can do it.

: 3.) I noticed on the Indiana Miller and the Akubra Fed that they don't go all the way arround with the Hat ribbon. They seem to be "cheap" and "skimp" and leave out s0ome of the main ribbon. What would a fancy 1930's Hatter do? Would a 30's hatter go "all the way around" the hat.

I'm not a 1930's hatter, so I don't know how they would do it, but all the hats I've seen including my HJ $300 fedora has a ribbon constructed like that. I've found it easier to make the bow part of the ribbon that goes around, but some people have a separate piece for the bow. Again, where the bow is concerned, remember it's not an actual tied bow, so it doesn't really matter if they attach it later as long as it looks the same.I would take the ribbon all the way around if I were you, but make sure it is attached to the hat because if it's just on itself, it could become loose.

Hope this helps,

-Indy Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: