Re: speaking of ribbon...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Parker from 64.211.16.221 on May 24, 2001 at 00:37:32:

In Reply to: speaking of ribbon... posted by schwammy on May 24, 2001 at 00:28:35:

I bought the powdered RIT and mixed it with 8 oz. of warm water to approximate the same type of solution you're likely to find in the "Sore-Bought" RIT 8 oz bottles.

At that level of concentration 2/1 Brown/Black or 3/2 Brow/Black ratio doesn't really matter I figure 100 percent brown at that kind of concentration of dye would yield a beautiful rich, dark, black/brown "Espresso Brown" also.

I've been told by experienced dyers, that the real trick is to add the salt as that etches into the fabric and help the dye to saturate better into the cotton and synthetic fibers.

Let me know how you make out.

Tony
BTW What kind of Ribbon are you using for a ROTLA hat? Grosgrain or Petersham? Where did you find it?

: I just got a black ribbon and a white one (to be dyed brown) for my hat today and I did a Raiders ribbon in about 1/2 hour. It looks REALLY good! I used the photo of Indy drinking outside the Cairo bar (on page 54 of the Raiders Collector's Album) for reference. I would send you a photo but I can't get my new camera to download, nor can I get my scanner to scan. #$%# Gateway!!! I'm working on it, though. Anyway, a question for you: earlier you were talking about dying your ribbon. Did you use powdered Rit or liquid Rit? I bought liquid, and the directions seem to be different from the ones you mentioned.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]