i think you're on the right track with that (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Sean from 206.67.74.85 on May 24, 2001 at 16:37:54:

In Reply to: Re: Ribbon info... So when ordering Ribbon from JM or.... posted by Tony Parker on May 24, 2001 at 15:21:38:

: So when ordering Petersham or Grosgarain from JM or...

: Does one say:

: For a Raiders look Hat Ribbon - 50/50 Cotton/Synth. "bound edge" Millinery Grosgrain Belting.

: For a TOD/LC look Hat Ribbon - 50/50 Cotton/Synth. "scalloped edge" Petersham Millinery Belting.

: Can anyone Cite the different sources for each?

: : : Everyone seems to have a different opinion, but from what I gather, Petersham is a form of high quality grosgrain that does not have a bound edge but rather a scalloped edge. We do know for a fact that the raiders ribbon had a bound edge, whereas the tod and crudade hats did not, so we assume from this that the tod and crusade ribbons were authentic Petersham, and the Raider sribbon was plain ol' grosgrain. To make a long story short, a Raiders ribbon is more accurate with a bound edge, and the TOD and Crusade ribbons are more accurate without.

:
: : I think there are basically 2 types of ribbons, one that is smooth, and one that is ribbed. Now the ribbed variety can have different width ribs, coarse and fine. And it can be either bound or unbound on the edges. As to the previous statement that petersham is better than grosgrain due to its stiffness, the stiffness is probably due to sizing or starch being used in the finishing process. The same stiffness can be achieved with grosgrain by the use of spray starch.(on the underside of course) In the end, I prefer a ribbon with more cotton, as it doesn't seem to be as shiny as the pure synthetics. Regards, Fedora
: : : If you get into smooth or ribbed ribbon, that's another story. I know for a fact that at least the crusade hat ribbon was ribbed, but I've never seen a good enough detail photo to show ribbing on the Raiders ribbon. The more I think about it, the more I think the Raiders ribbon was smooth. The clearest I have seen is a Laserdisc still and I see no evidence of ribbing in the ribbon in Raiders. I think it was a smooth, bound edge ribbon. If anyone has a closeup picture of the ribbon in Raiders to show thee detail, I'd love to see this and bring the issue to a close.

: : : Cheers,

: : : -Indy Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: