I love reading stories like this

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace144.utsi.edu on May 25, 2001 at 13:01:11:

In Reply to: Finally my One of a Kind (I think) Indy Jacket and a tour of Wested to boot... posted by India Jones on May 25, 2001 at 12:47:56:

Congratulatiosn on your new acquisition, and I totally agree with your philosophy. The fun is in the chase, and the final result is a success if it suits YOU, not the next fellow. Sounds to me like you had a great quest, and I envy you for the chance to actually have the afternoon you did. It's not often that one gets to actually sit and drink coffee with the owner while their jacket is being fit correctly! As to sizing, I'll just have to say that to date I've had nothing but success in what Peter has sent me, and that has been off the rack sizing. I've just given him my regular size, and the jackets I've received have fit me like he took personal measurements, so there are a few of us that can be fit with out the tape measure. Not always, but it happens. Great story. PLEASE post pictures if you can. I'd like to see you in your new acquisition. High regards. Michaelson

: Hello Indy Fans,

: Its a bit long reading but just wanted to share an experience about a personal quest for what I believe to be the perfect Indy jacket made just the way I want it. Maybe some of you may not agree, but I think that the "chase" is most of the excitement of getting something, whether its a jacket or anything else. I think that this is what makes this or any other hobby fun. It's the excitement of investigating, searching, finding, and going after what you're really looking for. This to me is what its all about. That could also make things frustrating when its not just exactly right in every detail. This could be why the jacket topic has been such a hot one. OK, enough of my own philosophy, here's more on the jacket story:

: After hours of research through the forum for tips, a few posts, and a few phone calls and e-mails to Wested I ordered a jacket. I measure 41" in the chest and am 6' tall. Wested's suggestion was to go for a 42 long since I was in between sizes. I went for a TOD since I wanted a longer look to the jacket, all silver trim, cotton lining, a zippered pocket, and specified a predistressed lamb. After a long wait, I recieved a TOD jacket in size 42 Long in the new distressed finish hide with a zippered pocket and all silver trim (zipper and D-rings). When I tried it on it looked way to big on me. The shoulders dropped too much and the jacket was very bulky on top and especially at the bottom, at least for my tastes. In short, I was swimming in the thing. Furthermore I did not like the distressed hide. I knew that it was the distressed hide from all the pictures I'de seen on the posts (thanks to all you guys). It was too dull for my tastes and did not drape like lamb. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I called Wested and explained the situation and they were very nice about it saying that I could return the jacket to be altered or just get a new one at no extra charge. I also wouldn't have to wait in the queue for a normal order (Jerry was the one who helped me and he was really great). It ended up that there was a misunderstanding about the leather too. I thought that they were going to use an antique lamb that Peter had mentioned to me once but it is actually a distressed hide called the "lamb touch". This is the one you guys have all been raving about. In fact they do not distress the lamb because it is too thin and they do not use any antique finished lamb skins. Jerry said that since there was a mix up in the leather, Wested would pay the shipping. Really, I think that this is more than fair on their part. Luckily for both of us I finally I ended up selling the jacket to a friend of mine who fell in love with it when I showed it to him. He's stockier than I am and the jacket fit him like a glove. Now I was jealous that he had an Indy jacket and I didn't, after I had waited a month and a half for mine! So with all the information I got after this first jacket encounter I finally ordered another one:

: Size 40 Reg TOD in Lamb
: Three inches off the waist (for a slight tapered look)
: All silver trim with two pockets (one zippered)

: I then received the jacket after 10 days (the postage was courtesey of Wested). When I took it out of the box, I noticed right away that the quality of the lamb skin. It didn't feel that light to me as some have stated. When I put it on it on and stared moving around in it, it immediately started molding to my body. Taking on those sought after creases an folds that I was looking for. BUT, IT STLL DIDN'T QUITE FIT THE WAY I WANTED. The shoulders still dropped a bit and I hate that (OK, I know I'm picky). Luckily for me, I was going on a business trip to London the next week and I called Peter and told him I would be dropping by and if he could straighten things out. He said no problem, just bring the Jacket over and we'll have it done while you have a cup of coffee. And this is exactly what happened. I took the train from London to Enfield Lock (its about 1hr outside of London). Came into the Wested building. I Met Jerry, Peter, and Dorris (the lady who did the origil jacket for Ford). They were all really nice. I got a tour of the operations. The room where the leather was kept was the most impressive. In a small room upstairs there were piles of all kinds of leather. I saw all different colors of lambskin and hides. The lamb used for the Indy jackets was undoubtedly the nicest. The cutting room and workshop were also surprisingly small. Wested really is a small operation. It reminded me of an old tailor's shop. That is probably why the quality and service are still so good. Finally, I got to have that cup of coffee and chatted with Peter about all the movies he's worked on. In the meantime Dorris herself modified my jacket according to my shoulder width. I sort of felt like HF being fitted for a movie (OK everyone has the right to dream a bit). When I got the jacket back after the modifications, it fit like a glove. I am pretty confident in saying that it is a one of a kind Indy jacket made to my tastes. OK, it may not be "authentic" to the exact detail in the movies, since it was custom made to my own specifications, but IMHO that's the pleasure of having a custom made garment.

: Thanks Dorris, Jerry, and Peter for your great service and hospitality. I guess the moral of this story is that the jacket does fit a bit big, so maybe try downsizing one size if you're in between or if you want a more tapered look. Also, if you're not happy with the jacket, the folks at Wested will bend over backwards to get it right. Lastly, I don't know of any other place where you can get a custom made Indy jacket, with all the details you want, using grade A leathers at this price.

: I will post pics if anyone is interested.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]