Well worth the trip

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on May 29, 2001 at 13:04:01:

In Reply to: I am jeolous. I would love to see and/or hear about it. (nm) posted by MK on May 25, 2001 at 17:52:35:

: : Have a GREAT 3 day weekend! I'll be going to see the Titanic artifact display in Nashville tomorrow, so I guess I'll be doing some "research" over the holiday. Be careful, and hope to talk to you all next week. High regards. Michaelson

The display was tastefully done, considering the subject matter and materials. They displayed the ships bell, tools, recovered passenger and crew personal belongings, life jacket, along with a large section of the hull, among other things. The one item with the most impact to me was a small gold man's pocket watch, whose hands were gone, but the rusted "shadow" of the hands indicated the moment the watch entered the water, which, according to the placard, the man did not survive, therefore the watch recorded the begining of the mans demise, as he did not survive. The time also reflected within 10 minutes the official time stated in the Senate transcripts of the ship sinking, therefore the gentleman stayed onboard until the very end. It's little items like that which humanize such a tragedy. I personally think the only "down" side to the entire exhibit was the choices in the gift shop. Some items were on target, such as books and replicas of china, cups, and blankets as used on the Titanic. I thought inappropriate items were the childrens blow up toys of a Titanic ship replica and iceberg that can be used as a pool toy. I thought it a bit tacky, considering what was on display on the other side of the wall. Anyhow, if this gets anywhere near you, I highly recommend you taking the time to see it. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]