This will be fun to write!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from spider-wa051.proxy.aol.com on May 29, 2001 at 18:22:01:

In Reply to: Patterson & MK... posted by junior on May 29, 2001 at 14:28:46:

: The storm flap: should it be 1" or 1.5"? What does the film show?

The storm flap should be 1.5 inches. I understand a few FS jackets went out with the 1 inch A2 configuration. Nice thing about FS - they'll fix it if they screw-up! In fact, these guys seem to even fix it when they don't screw up!(grin)

: The collar tips: Is there a big difference in the Wested and FS? Why do some say its too pointy? Are you sure about the end of the FS collar?

I've only heard Chris King say it was too pointy. It is what I saw - relatively pointed, but still with a rounded end.

: The zipper: Peter wasn't the first to say that the nickel Talon zipper waves up and down like a snake. Dave said that the Talon is on gauge smaller than the ykk brass version but that it doesn't much matter. If it waves then it matters because the Raiders jacket zipper did not wave...view any scene.

I don't know what is meant by this. The YKK will be offered in both brass and nickel soon, if not already. It is a very smooth zipper. I personally like the nickel Talon with the bell pull as it is authentic to jackets in the 1930's. Nice thing about FS - they have a lifetime guarantee on the zipper and stitching. That would have come in handy with a few jackets I've owned - I'll not name the manufacturer.

: The Mystery of the Elastic Pleats: I am really confused about this here. Do your FS jacket pleats lay done completley or do they only pinch in certain sections as described by someone a few posts ago..see "What did Peter mean..." post responses on the Forum. Dave contends that what they put in the Expo is the same method used in the G-1's for the last 50 years. How has the FS been working? Think it's a better alternative than the Wested solution? Lastly, how did Peter solve this problem without using eleastic?

There is a period were they stick open right about the level of the shoulder blades. On both of my current Expeditions, that lasted only a few days - but I wore them every day. On me, they've settled down perfectly once the leather of the jacket relaxes. This is really the opposite experience I had with the jackets I bought from the company-not-to-be-mentioned - the pleats worked fine UNTIL the leather relaxed. Really, the pleats are supposed to be 1.5 inches deep - the 2 inch configuration seems a bit over the top. Elastic has in fact been the spec on the G1. As I understand it, Eastman does the same, and I know US Wings does. But what do they know - they've only been making jackets for for folks who get shot at with REAL bullets! (grin)

: Thanks for your detailed responses.

: jr

Hey, Peter makes WONDERFUL jackets - worth every penny you pay for them. The "revised pattern based on the original patterns" sounds like it is terrific. I guess the old saying is right - the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Cheers all!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: