Here's someone else who knows how you feel, BUT--

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from cdm-60-159-sana.cox-internet.com on May 30, 2001 at 13:28:52:

In Reply to: Does the carrer of Indy make any of you want to do more with your life? posted by Briede on May 25, 2001 at 19:54:32:

Greetings.
Yep, I know where you're coming from. When I first discovered the adventures of Young Indy, I thought to myself on more than one occasion that "Gee--this kid could take Forrest Gump to the cleaners!"
And one more than one occasion, I'll admit that the program has made me reflect on where I've been, what I've accomplished, and where I'm going as well.
Who am I fooling? When I was in the depths of kidhood, and asked what I wanted to be when (or if) I grew up, all I could do was reply with no hesitation that I wanted to be Indiana Jones, Rambo, James Bond, Han Solo, Bruce Lee, and Lawrence of Arabia all rolled into one (or maybe John Denver, but I never really picked up the guitar).
The point is, all those years later and the feelings never changed.
Now, we get to the BUT--
As cool as Indy is, and as much as I love the guy, he still exists only in our hearts and imaginations. We're the real adventurers, my friend, and don't lose sight of that. The daily grind just isn't Hollywood, not even for the Hollywood types. On another personal note, I have seen too many times too many guys in my job field who have treated life too much like a movie, and got themselves hurt pretty good for their trouble. At the very least, their idealistic dreams have been crushed. I can only pray that they didn't get anybody else hurt after we went our separate ways.
Don't get me wrong, I love Indy as much as anybody else here, and Raiders is a great escape. On occasion, if somebody asks why I dig the films so much, all I can say is that if I wanted to watch the bad guys win, I'd watch frickin' CNN.
You speak three languages (Pig Latin doesn't count, right)? Well, you've got nearly all of our fellow Americans beat on that one. You've also spent time on a sub? American Navy class? If you're looking for a life of adventure, the military is probably the best way to find it, if you're willing to put up with an incredible amount of BS to get to it (although most adventures do not necessarily occur during duty hours).
Lastly, please do not forget that you are still young. I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times, but let's make it a thousand and one. It sounds as though you've been filling your quota for a seventeen-year old as far as swashbuckling goes. Just never stop rockin'!
Oh, and as far as war is concerned, take it from a slightly older salt when he tells you that you're not missing anything.
And hey--let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]