No offense taken.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indydawg from pool-63.52.29.151.atln.grid.net on June 07, 2001 at 10:43:43:

In Reply to: Really? (Long emotional post, sorry) posted by Sean on June 06, 2001 at 19:22:47:

And you have very good points. I AM basing my statements ONLY on what I have seen either on screen or in pictures AND on the testimonies from certain individuals who have not had good experiences with the shirts.

I personally only own ONE shirt-the L.L.Bean cotton poplin field shirt....definately light enought to wear in the Desert (smile), but it is FAR too dark in color. I am going to have to order the L.L.Bean dress chinos is a light brown color as my Indy pants just so my shirt won't be the same color as the pants.

Your point is taken....and I didn't intend to criticize Noel. I was just stating what I had heard and seen in my experience. I feel the same about the people who offer these items-gratitude. But, I also feel that nothing is ever so good that it cannot be improved upon....sort of a catch-22, isn't it?

Any way-points taken....and I'd LOVE to see the pics you are talking about!

Best Regards, Sean!
Indydawg

: Hmm...I have two of them and they are extremely well made shirts. Not only that, but Noel went to a lot of effort to track down material in Switzerland that was very close to the originals.

: I've had heavier Indy style shirts...they just don't look right. They almost look like miltary jackets, or safari shirts. Not only that but they wear like crap, and there's no chance of wearing them in the desert ;)

: I've washed my Raiders shirt severeal times and can assure everyone that they really lighten up. In bright sunlight, they look exactly like Indy's shirt - don't believe all the pictures on the 'net and over at Indygear. With all due respect to the photographers they look awful; no where near what the shirt actually looks like.

: I'll see if I can post good pics of the shirt and from the magazine I referred to.

: Pardon my jumping on this topic, I just think that we need to take a collective breath here because a lot of people are becoming alienated from the hobby, and so are our "suppliers."

: Pretty soon Wested and God forbid Noel Howard could say "Sod off, we're not making these for you anymore," and we're left in the cold with fan made copies.

: I will concede that Lee's holster is more accurate in appearance than MBA's, with the 2 correct holes in the strap. Fan made replicas are often as nice if not nicer than originals. That isn't in dispute!

: BUT - I find a lot of people criticize items which they don't own or have never seen in person. Obviously, and this has been said umpteen times here, the human eye and the camera see things like colo(u)r very differently.

: Noel owns the pants patterns, and pound for pound no fan will ever replicate the originals better than him. The texture and tone is bang on from what I've seen.

: I'm just really quick to passionately defend items that greats in the film industry have been generous enough (and us generous enough to buy, ahem) to produce...collectively we complain a lot (go back a few years and see all of the "I wish we had shirts" posts), then forget where we came from.

: I'm PETRIFIED that this hobby is degenerating into the same kind of crap that ruined Star Wars and Star Trek (which didn't take much, once again, ahem). God, pretty soon "Australian Climber" will have some goddamn name that no one can pronounce, like Star Wars Fandom obsesses over...

: I think our little community is like a wool sweater...warm and fuzzy often, but occassionally too picky.

: Indydawg, I apologize for my "rant" being in reply to you, no offence intended man.

: MY OPINION ONLY,
: Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: