Re: Strap/Bag services....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on June 07, 2001 at 14:57:53:

In Reply to: Strap/Bag services.... posted by Indydawg on June 07, 2001 at 14:49:01:

Just as a secondary opinion, I've never seen Lee's straps, or had one in my hands. Based on what I do have of his, and have handled personally (the holster and whip holder), I can only state that his strap has to be excellent. In regards to Noels strap, I do own his, and personally like it very much...AFTER I did my own touch to it. The back is unfinished, and as pointed out by several folks, seems a bit cheap at first glance. I took standard Pecards and applied it heavily, allowing to completely soak in over night. I then reapplied again, and allowed to stand for several days. I then buffed the leather strap, and now the front and back are well matched, smooth to the touch, and VERY much as appears on screen. The leather readily accepts the Pecards, and the final results are exactly as I hoped for. All in all, with a little effort, the NH strap is a very good choice as well. Just some more food for thought. As to buying from Noel, I'd recommend him with absolutely no reserve what so ever. He's honest, fast, and answers his own email. Well worth the effort. Regards. Michaelson

: If we are talking personal preferences....straps from Lee Keppler, hands down! The bag is a different story....
: I personally have had bad experiences with Sentimental Journey, but I have not heard of others having bad experiences. I think most any place that offers the bags are as good as any other.

: I have never actually ordered a bag from anyone at all except SJ...it didn't work out, so I sought out other personal sources for the bag. Sometimes they come up on eBay....

: Lee's straps are dead on, great straps! Buy one!

: That is about all I can say.....good luck!
: Later!
: Indydawg

: : Hey all,

: : Even though I've checked out Indygear a ton of times, I thought I would run this by you guys first since it seems to me that most of the people here have had personal experience ordering and probably can provide the best info.

: : I am looking to buy both a leather strap for an MkVII I already own and possibly to purchase another MkVII bag with a strap on it already. I know Lee Kepler sells the straps, and both Noel Howard and Sentimental Journey provide bag/strap services. What I would like to know is which person do people prefer to order from?

: : I have heard the brass buckle on Noel Howard's leather strap is too big, has he changed that? Would anyone recommend buying from him?

: : How does Lee Kepler's strap look like? Has anyone just bought the strap from him with the hardware to put it on/ is it nice looking and fairly easy to do?

: : I am on a fairly tight budget, so I don't want to be spending too much. Noel Howard's prices aren't too bad, but what about shipping costs to the US?

: : I thank any of you who respond in advance for your help- I really appreciate it!

: : Jonesy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]