How much does Ford go for these days?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0493.cvx7-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on June 07, 2001 at 16:01:11:

In Reply to: Studio exec value system... posted by Micah on June 07, 2001 at 15:11:50:

Somewhere around $20.000.000? Maybe he wants a percentage of the net?
How about Lucas and Spielberg? They want to be paid as well. And I don't see them work for an apple and an egg.
The screenplay writer gets a marginally "fair" sum, I bet. Let's not forget John Williams and the cinematographer as well as the head of every department involved in making the movie. They all get paid well.
As for the rest of the crew, it's like a sweat shop, I tell you. It's a real "honor" to work on such a movie - and better "bring your own lunch."
Whatever is holding it up is big money. Someone wants something someone else is not willing to pay - yet.
How much did Raiders cost when it was made in '80? $20 million, right? ToD cost $28 million, I think, and I bet that LC was somewhere around $40 million. To put this in correlation you can compare the cost of the Indy movies to Bond films (large globe-hopping productions): Let's see, Raiders cost $20 million to make in '80. For Your Eyes Only cost somewhere around $30 million, also in '80.
How much does it cost today to make a Bond film? Over $70 million? Then Raiders might cost around $50 million to make today. Sounds about right?
However, back then stars did not get the kind of money they get these days. How would that inflate the cost of the movie? Add 50% of the assumed original cost, and Raiders might cost $75.000.000 to make today.
No wonder merchandise is a big part of the movie making business. I think it's quite possible that Lucas wants to make sure that he gets his DVDs and toys out there.
Soon enough we will see Woody Allen action toys. His movies have cost like 20 million bucks lately... ;)
FG

: Do you honestly think a mediocre script or Harrison's age would stop a studio exec? They know any movie with Indiana Jones in the title is going to bring people to the theaters (at least the first time). Money, I'm more inclined to believe... If they are asking for big bucks to make this picture, it could give the studio pause. Does anyone have a source on how much the Indy films cost to make in dollars adjusted to today? My impression is that their budgets weren't excessive. I don't see why that would change too dramatically. Ford's pay would probably be a huge chunk of it, however...

: --Micah
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: