There is one major mistake in Das Boot.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0563.cvx19-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on June 09, 2001 at 22:26:16:

In Reply to: You are correct posted by Adam on June 09, 2001 at 18:54:47:

When the sub goes below safe depth, rivets start popping off and ricochet around in the interior. There were no rivets used in submarine hull construction. However, this "error" was commited for added drama.
That movie is the best submarine movie I know. In most movies they make subs' interiors look huge (just like every jet or train has a HUGE interior in almost all movies). In reality, these boats are crammed with gear from stem to stern. Watch your head and shins...
I really recommend Buchheim's novel Das Boot. He was a journalist and traveled on U-96. The book contains (naturally) many more stories. It's quite amazing.
BTW, 30.000 of the 40.000 German submariners died in WWII.
FG
PS: Yeah, I guess it would have been hard to move the sub to a location other than La Rochelle where it was kept for filming part of Das Boot.

: It was indeed the very same sub used for DAS BOOT. Actually, the La Rochelle location was used by both films extensively as well -- in RAIDERS for the secret Nazi base, and then as the German sub base (actually set in La Rochelle).

: In DAS BOOT, the film's opening sequence is very lengthy here, and you get a much better view of the grandeur of the sub base. It's not just one "port", but several aligned with each other. Watching RAIDERS, they blocked out the other ports -- they look like dark "voids", with no walls, to give the impression that the sub base is much smaller, with just one port.

: DAS BOOT is a magnificent film -- it is lightyears ahead of U-571 and even HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (though I liked them all) in its depiction of sub warfare and claustrophobia.
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: