Coil knows what's up

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupV188.mpls.uswest.net on June 10, 2001 at 02:08:45:

In Reply to: Request to my fellow Indy Fans..... posted by Indy Coil on June 10, 2001 at 01:29:17:

I totally agree that critics are not to be trusted. I'm sure there are some movies that the critics DO like, but for fear of being humiliated by the other snobs, they give them harsh reviews.

You see, I believe that movie critics, along with the majority of the general public, tend to like films that they're told to like. For example, the "artsie" crap and foreign language films always win big at the Oscars because for some reason people believe that if they like these movies, or if they pretend to understand them, they will in turn be seen by others as being intelligent. The same goes for books and music as well. If you pretend to like this crap, no matter how you REALLY feel about it, you will appear worldly and wise.

Personally, I don't buy into this bullshit. You couldn't PAY me to watch the kind of vomit-inducing motion pictures that are hailed by critics and showered with awards. Coil was right about 'The English Patient'. It reminds me of that 'Seinfeld' episode, where Elaine HATED that movie and everyone else loved it and raved about it.

The bottom line, if YOU like it, good. Don't pretend to like something just to look intelligent. I'll be happy buyin' my tickets for movies the likes of 'The Mummy Returns', 'Austin Powers', and 'Dumb and Dumber' because I want to see them. And I'll avoid crap with subtitles and period pieces about people I couldn't care less about.

Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]