Re: Star Wars vs. Indiana Jones: a writer/creator's opinion

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arizona Smith from host213-122-182-28.btinternet.com on June 10, 2001 at 07:10:19:

In Reply to: Star Wars vs. Indiana Jones: a writer/creator's opinion posted by Shawnkara on June 10, 2001 at 01:02:03:

I would tend to agree with you, as someone who also writes.

If there is another Indy, it seems to me unavoidable (purely because of Ford's age)that an older Indy will inform everything about the plot. And knowing Lucas's thematic concerns (ref. Joseph Campbell et al) it will almost certainly involve Indy's son, and thus, with Connery's involvement, three generations of the Jones family, father-son themes and so forth. A twist might be that Indy has a daughter, which would of course be ironic, because if she's anything like dad it suggests a Lara Croft type figure. And I'm not sure that I'd like to see that level of irony infom the entire movie. However, if this idea was left to the end of the film as a kind of 'knowing wink' to the audience, I could deal with that.

Star Wars is Lucas's main project, no question. It could be viewed as having more depth and grander ambition than anything Lucas could do with Indy, although as Last Crusade demonstrated, his thematic concerns CAN find a place in the Indy series.

As a fellow writer, I'd be interested in a chat sometime, if you're agreeable.

Best regards
Arizona

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: