Story?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from edtn007010.hs.telusplanet.net on June 11, 2001 at 13:08:42:

In Reply to: Request to my fellow Indy Fans..... posted by Indy Coil on June 10, 2001 at 01:29:17:

You bash critics because they're too worried whether the story is any good? I'm sorry man, but story is a very important part of what makes a movie good. If the story is a load of crap (or if the director doesn't treat the story right), then the movie suffers big time.

And not all movies have a "true" intent, but they're not being made solely because it's supposed to be fun. Not every movie is to be made for FUN. If you found "Schindler's List" a fun movie experience than you're sick in the head. True, films like Indy are made for fun, they're called escapist films for a reason. There are millions of movies out there with the intent to make you think, to contemplate important political and social issues, to make you have a different outlook on life, hell movie's are made for a billion and one intents, and they're all "true" and valid intents!

Now I have zero idea what critics you are being exposed to, but many aren't nearly as unreasonable as you make them out to be.

Critics like Roger Ebert and Peter Travers (of Rolling Stone) I find them to be fairly reliable. Do I listen to them all the time? Hell no! There's lots of movies they've bashed that I went to see anyway (and vice versa), but they certainly have encouraged me to go see movies I normally may not have been interested in (sometimes they're right, other times they're not) and have wisely deterred me from some bad movies. These guys have opinions, and all they're doing is expressing them. Nobody is telling you that you HAVE to agree with them.

And movies with CGI have gotten favorable reviews. Examples are: Titanic (a movie I hate), Gladiator, Pleasantville, Forrest Gump, The Matrix (yes, EVEN The Matrix!) and so on.

Raiders wouldn't get bad reviews today if it was exactly the same only with some CGI shots (unless they do some awful usage of it like they did to The Rock in Mummy Returns, whoever did that shouldn't be allowed within 30 sq. miles of a computer!).

Anyways, just chill out. It's only a critics opinion, not a tyrannical government to overthrow.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]