Hmmm...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0274.cvx21-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on June 13, 2001 at 06:45:33:

In Reply to: History Channel posted by Aņejo Joe on June 13, 2001 at 06:19:14:

I don't know. When I think of archaeology, Heinrich Schliemann, Howard Carter, and Hiram Bingham pop up in my mind.
If it's about adventure and exploration, I'd say Thor Heyerdahl is an example of a man who lived archaeolgy. Wow! He's still alive.
Indy's a grave robber. He's in it mostly for the excitement of the hunt, the raid...
FG
PS: Of course they like to mention Indy. A little glamourous adventure doesn't hurt. Makes things more popular with the crowd. Mix fiction and reality. Entertainment is everything, and everyone wants to be entertained all the time.
Sorry for the rant.

: There was a special on last night on the archaeology of the Bible. Once again Indy was prominently mentioned. Only now, he seems to be the benchmark. Carol Meyer even admitted to shamelessly using Indy to promote their finds. They found a portion of an ark (not THE Ark), and the comparison was a natural. I read over and over the post that say Indy is only a character in a movie, but when every show on archaeology, and even the head of the dig I worked in, uses Indy as a comparison (and not necessarily in a negative context) you gotta think that he is now much more than just a character. He represents Archaeology.
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: