Indyfan Art Showcase 2001- the surprises, the excitement, the disappointments

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by the ART kritik from dix1-14.essex1.com on June 13, 2001 at 10:45:02:

As someone who has been through several college courses regarding art history and art critique, I just wanted to share my opinion about this years choices for prize winners.

First of all, I want to extend my gratitude to Paul Shipper for that exquisite piece- it was truly in the style of Struzan and was an entirely original and magnificent entry. Without a doubt, it was deservedly the Best in Show. Truly and honestly, if you are out there Paul, you have tremendous talent and I enjoyed your work immensely! Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I am, however, greatly anticipating the June 18 release of the other pieces and more importantly, the reasoning behind the choices that were made for the prize winners. Looking at the entries that made the prize winner cut, it was clear to me that the choices were poorly made. I should state at this point that I mean no disrespect to the judges and particularly to the artists, but as someone critiquing the pieces without knowing any of the artists, I came to my own conclusions. It is not my intent nor purpose to criticize any individual and I know that by giving my views on certain pieces that I am inviting possibly negative responses directed toward me. I expect it, since art is personal and many people respond to criticism of their art as a criticism of themselves. So, I mean not to insult anyone by this.

Personally, I felt that the work by Austin Powers, a montage of Indy scenes, was superb and definitely deserved second place. It was a spectacular sketch that clearly took a great deal of time and effort. The choices that made second and third place, I felt were disappointing. While the second place work was certainly a nice piece, it would have made the bottom of the list for me since its design is far too simple. And the third place "most humorous" is, while indeed being funny, not an original idea and one that has been utilized too often. In last year's contest, the South Park theme was already used. For me, while it was funny and enjoyable to look at, I think it should have been placed lower on the list.

The choice for most original piece was, unfortunately, not very original in my opinion. While it certainly has a different look to it, I found it hardly capable of being most original. And the last piece was simply a poor decision. While the work was indeed nice, it was a predictable scene to sketch and not very imaginative as a 20th anniversary piece.

I know of several pieces that were submitted personally that were more deserving of a place in the top six than some that made it there and I am sure that when they are released on June 18, many members will agree.

Since we all look for something different in art, I should not be mistaken for being against the judges. I am just eagerly awaiting the reasoning behind the choices that I felt were poor in some respects. And to the artists that all contributed, I apologize if you took any offense to my comments on your work. I am critiquing the work and not the person, so none of these statements should be taken as personal attacks against yourself. I appreciate anyone who takes the time and effort to make a contribution to a genre of film that I so dearly love and I appreciate your entries.

With that said, cheerio!

the ART kritik

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: