I'm not your usual critic...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by the ART kritik from dix4-34.essex1.com on June 13, 2001 at 15:49:22:

In Reply to: I'm not usually one to side with critics.... posted by Austin Powers on June 13, 2001 at 14:51:11:

Austin,

Actually, the more I examine your work, the better I feel that it is. While the first place piece is certainly amazing, and a wonderful idea to make it a poster format, the picture of Marion looks awkward. I know it is just a small flaw to a beautiful piece, but my eye is immediately attracted to that imperfection.

Your piece was spectacular and I enjoy all the additional, smaller sketches that fill in the spaces between the larger ones. Truly a great piece and I am not afraid to say one that deserved a better place in the rankings.

About what you said about it being your place or not to discuss the placings as an contributor, I disagree with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, although I certainly understand that by expressing an opinion of the other contributors among the prize winning group you belong to would undoubtedly be stepping on some toes as well as coming off as ungrateful. Since I was not among the contributors, I didn't need to refrain from my opinion. But I respect your decision not to speak up.

If I were to grade and judge the top six, your piece would be a solid second seating. I feel the piece that made it to the second spot lacked imagination. It was a simple design of an image we have all seen several times. The reproduction of that image was indeed impressive, but not to merit it a better seating than someone who produced a more imaginative, original work.

If you are pleased with the outcome, then all of this really doesn't matter, but I appreciate your diplomatic response.

Enjoy your prize!

: ...but I appreciate what you said about my entry. It truly did take quite a bit of time and effort. And whether I disagree with the other things you said or if I agree 110%, I will not say. I don't feel it's my place, or the place of the other entrants, to discuss the placings.

: Thanks again,
: Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: