Thanks again....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupE133.mpls.uswest.net on June 13, 2001 at 16:13:37:

In Reply to: I'm not your usual critic... posted by the ART kritik on June 13, 2001 at 15:49:22:

Your opinion carries much weight with me as it seems you know a great deal about art, whether it's in being able to spot errors or recognizing what does and does not take time and effort.

But like I said, whether I'm pleased or not with the outcome, airing my feelings here would be fruitless, not to mention rude.

Perhaps opening the floor to the public and allowing their voices and opinions to be heard may have been benifitial, not only to me, but also to the entries we've yet to see. I'm SURE there are many that are great, many that will still blow us away. There were many entries last year that I felt were superb, but for whatever reason they were overlooked.

I'm by no means an art expert, but I know what I like. Frankly, the stuff that passes for art in the Art Galleries around the world is laughable to me. There are people like Struzan, and MANY wildlife artists that deserve more recognition, for I feel it takes more real talent to do what these guys do than it does to slap some paint on a canvas or bend some metal into gawdawful imagery.

There was a line in the Ashley Judd/Tommy Lee Jones movie, 'Double Jeopardy', that I REALLY agree with and get a kick out of. In the movie, Judd's husband collects art by Kandinsky, which looks somewhat Picasso-esque. Toward the end of the film, Tommy Lee Jones sees one of this artist's paintings on the wall and asks Judd's husband, "That's nice, did your kid do that?". That one line really sums up how I feel about what passes for "art" in galleries.

Forgive me for getting sidetracked.

Peace,
Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: