Re: Indy Novels - Opinions?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James from host-216-78-22-17.cae.bellsouth.net on June 14, 2001 at 13:04:41:

In Reply to: Indy Novels - Opinions? posted by Crook-ed. on June 14, 2001 at 12:28:49:

I'm currently reading IJ and the White Witch, so here's my take on them:

Peril At Delphi; Dance of the Giants - haven't read

7 Veils - I was underwhelmed when I first read it, but looking back it's probably the best of the MacGregor's (that I've read).

Genesis Deluge - This has a lot of stuff in Chicago that's a little too Young Indy-ish for my liking. The latter half with the Ark doesn't really live up to expectations either.

Unicorn's Legacy - This was just a bunch of people out in the desert that kept missing each other. Really. Not only that, but the ending leads right into...

Interior World - Promising start with Indy at Easter Island that quickly goes bad, bad, bad. Then there's even an attempt at the end to make you think it was all just Patrick Duffy in a shower.

Sky Pirates - There is no action. For some reason, Indy now works in England. Indy spends over half the story as a PASSENGER in an airplane. If that doesn't scare you off, then the story is somewhat interesting if read as an older Indy working with the government. (It's set in 1930, but I could only see a 59 year old Ford doing some of this stuff.) I'm surprised they kept making the novels after these three turkeys in a row.

White Witch - More interesting than Caidin's previous, but he really has no grasp of Indiana Jones' character. Indy mostly complains about everything- and gets airsick, seasick, etc. Caidin would've been a good technical advisor, because some of the stuff is interesting, but there's no pacing. He'll devote a whole chapter to a meeting or (my favorite)- Indy parks a car and gives a science experiment with a piece of paper! The villains are recycled from Sky Pirates, too.

Philosopher's Stone - McCoy's stuff returns the Indy we know from the films. This was a really good read, even if the some of the book, like the final act, seemed copped straight from LC.

Dinosaur's Eggs - Didn't hold my attention as well as the previous, but it was a good read.

Hollow Earth; Sphinx - haven't read.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]