The possessors of Knowledge

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marhala Bartender from dix1-06.essex1.com on June 15, 2001 at 10:57:34:

In Reply to: archaeology posted by soap-box jones on June 15, 2001 at 10:14:08:

I've often pondered the same questions myself as I prepare to pursue a graduate program in archaeology- what difference does archaeology make in peoples' lives, if any? I think the majority of the general public show very little interest in the current findings of the archaeological field. The public is interested only in the uniques and the firsts of cultures- like the earliest city in South America, the largest amount of precious metals found in a tomb, the largest edifice in antiquity.

I sincerely think that the general public does not really care about the happenings in archaeology and on the other end of the spectrum, archaeology is becoming excessively self absorbed. At least from my experiences in undergrad, I see a trend in archaeology (and numerous other departments in universities and colleges across the country) to hoarde the knowledge they obtain. Knowledge is power, after all. Besides that, the majority of research being conducted is of little or no interest to the general public. Most people couldn't care less about how many thousands of years ago corn was cultivated in South America. And if they were, the knowledge is certainly not easily accessible unless one lives near a major university and has access to the library. Academic research is not accessible enough, and certainly not to the layperson who maintains a superficial interest in any particular aspect of archaeological research.

Sadly, I feel that archaeology has very little to do anymore with increasing our knowledge of humanity or enriching our understanding of where we are today. While it is true that some research hits the mainstream and anyone can view it on Discovery/National Geographic/ or The Learning Channel, perhaps even be affected by it enough to produce some further understanding of humanity, but there are hundreds of universities and colleges with many more professors and students out there each conducting research that makes little or no difference to public knowledge. Instead, it merely results in academia and the research produced through their efforts moving farther apart from the general information accessible to the public.

In many respects, archaeology has become a self-perpetuating system whereby those entering the field (which in itself is difficult in such a highly competitive market, overflowing with students trying to break through) contribute in ways that only other members of their profession, and sometimes only other members of their department, can reap the benefits of.

That isn't to say that there are some programs out there that are making a difference and trying to make archaeology more accessible via such venues as the internet and television programs, but overall I think archaeology as a study of the material past does little to expand humanity's views of itself. I find this on nearly every program about the Pyramids at Giza- some bizarre, new-age hippie spouting out theories of how aliens MUST HAVE made the pyramids. And so many people will listen to this garbage simply because so many of us are incapable of accepting that we, as humanity, have had the ability to do great things when the conditions are favorable. It would be beneficial in archaeology, I believe, if we were to instill a sense of pride in our humanity for the amazing achievements that Homo sapiens have been capable of in our relatively short existence on the planet Earth. Humans have been capable of atrocities on the other hand as well, but I think people could related better to the past if they personalized it.

The Barkeep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]