Alive and kicking!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indydawg from pool-63.52.5.160.atln.grid.net on June 15, 2001 at 13:27:19:

In Reply to: archaeology posted by soap-box jones on June 15, 2001 at 10:14:08:

And punching, and pulling hair, and.....oh, well, you get the picture;-)

I think that archaeology is extremely relevent to the lives of people-as I feel of all history. What saddens me, is the apathy with which 90% of the world's population views such subject matter, as they are far more concerned with whether or not their cell phone batteries are charged, what happened on last night's episode of Friends, or if they should buy the newest pair of jeans at their local GAP store. A line from "The Matrix" comes to mind in which one of the "agents" is interrogating Morpheus....he talks of how the human race does not behave as other mammals do. "Other mammals move to an area and adapt to their surroundings, learning to live with what is there. Humans, on the other hand, move to an area, use up all the resources there, and once they are depleted, they move on to a new area....consuming along the way..." That is what we do, we consume. I am as guilty of this as the next person, but I do feel a bit ahead of the curve because at least I KNOW I do this and am TRYING to change....most people are only concerned with their next damn trip to Wal Mart!

Now, that I have propounded long enough...I'll get off my soap-box, and give it back to you;-) I do agree...I think archaeology is extremely important. I think education, learning about history, and protecting history and natural resources for generations to come is one of the most noble pursuits any one can embark upon. That is one of the major reasons I am in the profession I am-to try to impart the importance of this to America's youth. But I am fighting a large enemy. And, we are in the minority, my friend....and I fear where it ends....

I don't want to bring everyone down around here, so....contact me via email and we'll discuss further if you want!

PS-My Wested is currently at Peter's for those alterations if you are in London, you should go by and see it!

Later, man!
Indydawg

: Hi people, I work as a professioal archaeologist and have been involved for many years, specializing in south american archaeology and thought that this may be a good forum to ask a few questions. Indy aside, how relevent do you think archaeology is to yur lives ingeneral. Do you feel that it enriches your understanding of where hunanity is at today and apart from the occaisioanal natioanl geographic doumenteries does anybody attempt to do any of there own research and if so how easy is it to accress the information? The reason I ask is that within academia people tend to be very possesive about the information and I have problem with this as archaeology concerns humanity and therefore feel that the information should be readily accessable to it. Any comments would be appreciated. (sorry for the exessively long sentences)

: For those of you considering becoming invloved in archaeology the best of luck but be prepared to put many many hours of work in with not much financial return. If you can break in to it, however, it is a most rewarding profession. (that's for that guy who wrote in a few days ago about getting involved in archaeology).

: p.s. indydawg, hope all is well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]