Re: Poll: When, how, and why did you fall in love with the Indy films?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kent from 65.164.40.9 on June 15, 2001 at 14:39:48:

In Reply to: Poll: When, how, and why did you fall in love with the Indy films? posted by Marhala Bartender on June 15, 2001 at 12:04:17:

I would, but that would give away a secret I've been hiding, but I can tell you I was young, and Harrison Ford and the character became an inspiration for me to try and accomplish my goals.
Kent (or am I?)

: I'm sure this has been done before, but until recently, I haven't been able to frequent this site very often. I would like to know everybody's first experience with Indy, or moreso, when they became Indyfans (usually the two are simultaneous). It helps to get to know the people on this forum if I can associate them with something particular concerning Indy.

:
: Sad to say, I did not see an Indy film until Last Crusade came out. I was only three when Raiders came out, and might have seen it with my father, but can't recollect too much from back then. Anyhow, when I saw my first advertisement for Last Crusade, I became obsessed with seeing this film. I went to it opening night and back again four more times. To me, Indy was the perfect character and I suppose I admired his single-minded determination the most- something I am accused of when going after something, but not quite as persistent as Indy. I was ecstatic when I discovered that two other films existed (I was a bit of a sheltered child when it came to movies) and immediately rented Temple of Doom, which I found a little disappointing and still do, and then Raiders, the pinnacle of film making in my opinion.

: Indiana Jones introduced me to the world of archaeology while I was still young and sparked such a strong fascination with it that I majored in it at college and will be pursuing a graduate degree next year in it. Unfortunately, archaeology is nothing like what Indy does, but those feelings of discovery and exploration that the films induce are much the same.

: Although I take alot of crap for it, I wear a fedora on digs, and I maintain a personal collection of Indiana Jones memoribilia- particularly Raiders, since after the moment I saw that film, it has always been my favorite movie of all time. Many wonder why I spend so much of my scarce funds on toys, but I always see it as a tribute to the thing that changed my outlook on where I wanted to go in life.

: So, I am eager to know how each of you first encountered the world of Indiana Jones, how you came to love it, and how it has changed you. I know some people may scoff at this sentimentality, but I find that the true measure of a film is in the way that it affects people. And I'm always up for a little nostalgic interlude.

: The Barkeep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]