Re: archaeology

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aņejo Joe from 146.charlotte-18-19rs.nc.dial-access.att.net on June 15, 2001 at 17:55:50:

In Reply to: archaeology posted by soap-box jones on June 15, 2001 at 10:14:08:

: Hi people, I work as a professioal archaeologist and have been involved for many years, specializing in south american archaeology and thought that this may be a good forum to ask a few questions. Indy aside, how relevent do you think archaeology is to yur lives ingeneral. Do you feel that it enriches your understanding of where hunanity is at today and apart from the occaisioanal natioanl geographic doumenteries does anybody attempt to do any of there own research and if so how easy is it to accress the information? The reason I ask is that within academia people tend to be very possesive about the information and I have problem with this as archaeology concerns humanity and therefore feel that the information should be readily accessable to it. Any comments would be appreciated. (sorry for the exessively long sentences)

: For those of you considering becoming invloved in archaeology the best of luck but be prepared to put many many hours of work in with not much financial return. If you can break in to it, however, it is a most rewarding profession. (that's for that guy who wrote in a few days ago about getting involved in archaeology).

: p.s. indydawg, hope all is well.

-------------------------

I have loved history and archaeology all my life although I did not pursue them until recently. I mentioned the low pay to a professonial, and he replied that you could do well in contract archaeology. He didn't difine "well", though. Whatever, it is what I wish I had done. I singed on to my first dig this year. I intend to make that a habit.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]