Re: Raiders unrealism

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2.frmt1.sfba.home.com on November 07, 1998 at 18:43:25:

In Reply to: Raiders unrealism posted by ShortRnd on November 07, 1998 at 17:23:46:

: In raiders, when the nazis recover the ark from indys ship to take it
: to the island to be opened, it shows indy climb on to the sub. Now
: unless the sub stayed above water ,which I doubt since it would move more slowly, or indy has gills how the heck could he reach the island
: alive. Also, when all the fascists died at the end, how did indy and
: Marion get back to the states. Does indy also know how to navigate a
: submarine?

The scene with the sub was filmed then cut from the final print. Indy was able to strap himself to the perioscope (with his bullwhip), which never completely submerged under the water. The novelization also describes this scene in detail, as does the Marvel comics adaption. You might want to check these sources out to satisfy your curiosity. Personally, it still seems like a stretch of reality, but, then again, a lot of Indy's adventures defy logic.

I'm glad someone else has been trying to figure out how Indy and Marion got off the Nazi base. My brother's theory is that Indy may have found a way to radio Katanga's ship, and they came back to rescue Indy and Marion. A similiar theory has Indy contacting Army intelligence and having the feds come to the rescue. At any rate, you're guess is as good as mine, since this is just one of those plotholes that seem to slip through the cracks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]