Watershed Archaeological Event in Oregon this morning!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inby from ppp09.nwnetwork.net on June 19, 2001 at 13:03:52:

In a few minutes (10am Pacific) oral arguments are resumed in US District Court, Portland, Oregon on the disposition of the Kennewick Man bones. Scientists filed suit for the right to have access to the bones - as federal/public property - in order that they may be studied. Several Indian tribes countersued, arguing that federal law (NAGPRA) permits them to deny such access on religious grounds.
This case will likely be pursued by both sides to the Supreme Court, and will then impact reading of NAGPRA and the manner in which archaeology is conducted in the US.
My personal belief, and those of many people (not just archaeologists) is that the tribes' position is an unwarranted interpretation of NAGPRA, which is itself a too-vaguely worded statute to be of any utility in this case. Besides, I am an archaeologist, and thus tend to be somewhat biased towards dissemination of facts and the growth of knowledge fostered by science. But I digress... Kennewick Man is proving to have probably a greater social impact 10,000 years after his death than in his life. Understanding his history and his current impact, and using this knowledge to further comprehend the past and present meanings of what it is to be human are goals that I think would have been endorsed by our fictional Dr. Jones.

There's a book just out from the first analyst of the bones:
"Ancient Encounters by Jim Chatters, is a first-hand account from a participant (rather than arm chair observer) in the early events of the recovery of the Kennewick Man. His descriptions of other First Americans puts the Kennewick Man into a context that reminds us how little we know and how much there is to learn."

(and for more fun books, check out http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/newbooksfeb.html)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]