Re: Final note...and a half

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on November 09, 1998 at 06:58:34:

In Reply to: Final note... posted by ~The Raider~ on November 08, 1998 at 16:40:37:

:
: : : : No arguments from me! I like 'em both but Indy always comes out on top (sorry Dad). One thing though, "a 7.62mm service pistol"? I think you mis-typed that. That's a BIG round, same one used in the M-60 machinegun. I forget what Bond's Walther PPK uses but it's smaller than Indy's handcannon. -MP

: : : : Are you sure you have the right caliber there? I have a 9mm, and I know that it isn't as powerful as a .41, let alone a .455. According to the books I have on the subjectm the PPK takes a 7.62 and a 9mm caliber, and it is even stated in "Dr. No" when Bond is issued it.

: : : : ~The Raider

: : : Ahhhkk! I stand humbled. You're (and Michaelson are) right. I forget about the different lengths for the 7.62mm. -MP

: : As a gun collector and shooter, the Walther PPK has always amused me regarding the belive of the power of the weapon. The .380 is one of the least powerful cartriages made, and barely makes it on the Marshall ballistics scale in terms of stopping power for self defense. Only recently has ammo been developed that at least makes it creditable for self defense purposes, but only as a back up weapon. Why they'd put it in the hands of a secret service agent, double o or otherwise, let alone to replace a small Beretta 9mm, always mystified me. Oh well, back to Indy....Regards. Michaelson

: They gave him the PPK because it jammed on him, or so they said. Where they said it had a "delivery like a brick through a glass plate", I still can't justify, though.

: ~The Raider

You know, all those lines tickled me too. I have never owned a Beretta that jammed. Maybe I'm lucky, but the "Brick through a glass plate" really tickled me. A .22 short would do the same thing, wouldn't it? So would an air gun. Anyway, I guess as long as it breaks glass, they were happy. Now Indy, on the other hand, carried the definate guns termed as "man stoppers". No whimpy weapons here. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]