Adam....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupB198.mpls.uswest.net on June 21, 2001 at 01:35:48:

In Reply to: Thanks for the kind words posted by Adam on June 21, 2001 at 00:07:49:

I agree 100% that this is Indyfan's contest, and that if it weren't for the generosity of Micah and the contributors, this contest wouldn't exist. NOBODY has the right to bitch about it at all, you're right, if they think they can do better then they should create and fund their own contest.

But what I don't agree with is your condescending attitude. Micah is keeping quiet, I'm keeping quiet, and the rest of the winning entrants are keeping quiet as well. So why is it that you're so adamant in making your voice be heard? Why do you feel the need to constantly justify your decisions? Why did you feel the urge to "correct" Art Kritik's viewpoints? Isn't he entitled to have his own opinions without having them be discredited?

I also have a problem with two of your statements.

The first being, "...it is frustrating when you work so hard...only to have others blast your judgement and insist it should be done their way". My problem is that I HAVE YET to see anybody "blast" your judgement. I've seen people question it, and comment on it, but by no means has anybody out-and-out slammed it.

The other statement is quite similar. This being, "...it's not a lot of people who are bitching about the art contest, but a handful of people who are bitching a lot, over and over again". Again, I have not seen ONE PERSON "bitch", per se. People have presented their viewpoints regarding certain placings, some have questioned why their entries were omitted. But aside from that "joke" fiasco, there hasn't been any bitching done by anyone, and certainly not any "over and over".

I've questioned your tact in the past, without attacking you personally. And I'm certainly not trying to do so now either. I'm just suggesting that perhaps showing a little more restraint and diplomacy would better suit a *judge*. Afterall, if the judges get upset and lash out, what kind of example is that for the rest of us?

In regards to changing the judging system, I think Art Kritik made some good points, as did you. But something you said really stood out and proved, to me at least, that more judges are needed. You said, in regards to Art Kritik's review of Mr. Shipper's entry, "I strongly disagree with your points about the way Indy and Marion look -- it IS them, period. They might not be perfect, but the essence of a portrait, for me, is to capture the soul of a person, not to carbon copy a photo. It might not be an exact duplicate, but it's the spirit of a thing that matters." Well this way of thinking would be fine and dandy, IF there were more judges to stop one person's viewpoints from being the ultimate say. I think it was evident that plenty of people disagree, plenty of people DO think that having the characters *look* like the actors is important.

I'm also curious as to why it seems you have so much contempt towards my entry. Maybe I'm just dreaming it, but it seems there were more negative comments in my entry's review than in any other. Is this because of the overwhelming public support given to my entry by so many fellow fans. Did you feel the need to justify your placing of my entry moreso than the others? Just now you definitely "retaliated" to Art Kritik's positive words about my sketch with a few negatives of your own.

Like I've said before, I'm keeping all of my personal thoughts regarding the contest and the placings OFF the forum. It's Indyfan's contest, I was just a participant. I have NO right to question the ranking of the winning pieces or the handling of the contest in general. By the same token I will refrain from posting my reviews of ANYBODY'S Indy art, whether it's part of the art showcase or not. This goes for your stuff as well, Adam.

Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]