Final comments on my views -- please read

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from spider-tk022.proxy.aol.com on June 21, 2001 at 13:07:18:

In Reply to: Taking it a bit too personally, aren't you? posted by the ART kritik on June 21, 2001 at 11:43:08:

To the members of this forum, and Art Critic in particular,

I thank you, once again, in your views -- though I disagree with some of them, and feel some of them are presumptuous, they are all intelligently written and contain what I feel are several valid points.

: What I object to, is that your commentary does not address these issues, but makes haste to point out every flaw in Austin Power's work- as if you were defending your decision more than providing as objective as possible of a commentary. "

I feel bad about my seemingly negative commentary towards Austin Powers' work. Austin himself voiced an opinion that I held "contempt" for his piece, and my views were nothing of the kind. I simply felt that I was constantly being called to task in defending myself, particularly in regards to the Shipper vs. Austin argument. Austin's work was amazing -- that is why we chose him to be one of the prize winners! I love so many of the pieces, and feel happy that you all contributed.

If I have ever given anyone -- especially Austin -- the impression otherwise, and if I seemed to quick to criticize the work, then I humbly, sincerely, wholeheartedly apologize. And yes, perhaps a better approach to respond to the forum's comments would have been to maintain a tight lip, and say too little as opposed to too much. I will try to better exercise this approach in the future. It's just that when someone calls you into question, you feel as though you are expected to answer. Again, if I ever portrayed any sense of ill-will or ill judgement, I apologize. I want to ENCOURAGE people in submitting their work, not discourage them by hurting anyone's feelings.

"...a biased attitude against pencil drawings as opposed to color. I am aware you work in color, and your statements reflect this preference."

I work in MANY media, and in many different styles, including black and white as well as pencil. You just have not seen the whole body of my work, and it is unfair to draw such conclusions. This statement is extremely presumptuous on your part.

: If you took my statements in such a manner, then I apologize. I never meant to make it appear as if you two were "clueless". Far from it. But you did have some difficulties in deciding the order of the top six, right? And more judges would be a more democratic format.

Even if there were more judges, I would encourage and favor the use of a basic voting system first, and then open up a dialogue as to the rationale behind our selections, taking other views into consideration before rendering a final judgement. It entails both a democratic vote as well as a dialogue exchange of ideas -- that's how court juries work, by the way. In hearing other people's comments, it gives you another view that you may not have considered. Reducing the judgement to a basic "numeric" system of voting, no matter how many judges you have, I believe actually LIMITS the value of creative exchange rather than encouraging it. But that's just me...

Look, we're all passionate about how we feel about art. In the end, that's what it all comes down to. So let's agree to disagree, take each other's opinions into consideration, and try to make things better for the future. If I'm involved with such contests in the future, that's what I'll do, and I'll look forward to your comments.

Kindest regards,

Adam

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: