Re: Eastman vs. Flightsuits...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 80 year old Blimpy from user-2initkh.dialup.mindspring.com on June 23, 2001 at 01:32:25:

In Reply to: Eastman vs. Flightsuits... posted by junior on June 22, 2001 at 16:48:26:

Looking for an A-2? I've purchased a couple of Eastman's and I admire their craftsmanship and the leathers that they use. I was astonished as to suppleness of their hides but later discovered that they were guilty of a little deception. One of their hides they called "mustang" turned out to be steer. I have strong suspicions that the other one I have by Eastman, a Star A-2 is also steer. Nonetheless great jackets. The complaint about Eastman has always been their blousy fit. They are not military trim. Just recently Gary has stated that they have revamped their patterns....

Personally Lost Worlds has a great A-2 if you like seal brown goatskin or a dark russet horse. These jackets are cut military trim--sorta like motorcycle jackets which is one of their specialties. I liked their goatskin so much I ordered a deerskin leather A-2. Fabulous! Quite a bit heavier than the Flightsuits deerskin or goat, yet more supple.

Lastly check out Aeroleatherclothing.com, they also have some nice A-2's. They have a variety of leathers. I have a jacket from them made from "buffalo," (water buffalo) that has a great heft to it and beautiful heavy grain.

The advantage of Flighsuits is that it is Stateside. I'd recommend getting a sample from Flightsuits and then compare it's fit with the measurements that are available for different manufacturers at the Acme Depot site for A-2's. Once you get an idea of the kind of fit you like, how trim, length of sleeves, etc. you can then order from Aero or Eastman and specify sleeve lenght, how much taper you prefer on the body etc.

: Anyone know how the quality varies in:
: leathers used and deatail in construction?

: Both companies say they have superior craftsmanship and use the best known leathers that took years to find.

: Anyone know first hand?

: jr

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: