DARK HORSE

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by walker from 38.152.176.170 on November 10, 1998 at 11:02:42:

In Reply to: INDY COMICS FROM DARK HORSE posted by HANNIBAL KING on November 10, 1998 at 10:39:48:

My understanding of the situation based on various trade articles I've read is that sales were very poor. At the comic store I shop at, I was the only guy they ordered the titles for. Because the Indy comics are licensed from Lucasfilms, a percentage has to be paid by Dark Horse to them. This additional fee dictates that sales on licensed titles must be higher than normal titles in order to stay in the black.

Given that the quality of the Dark Horse comics was sketchy at best, it's easy to see why the line failed. Another factor is that oftentimes companies will put weaker talent on a licensed titles as they expect the license "name" to sell itself (see the Marvel Star Trek titles for an example). Unfortunately, Dark Horse dissolved their Indy involvement right when some really great creators (Adam Hughes and some others) were gearing up to do some good Indy stories. These are the same creators Dark Horse probably should have kicked the line off with but didn't.
walker
: I've just heard that Dark Horse comics no longer have the licence to produce Indiana Jones comic books anymore. Personally, I find this to be a huge bummer. Does anyone have any opinions, or information about why?

: Seeya, Hannibal

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]