Just to butt in...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on June 26, 2001 at 13:39:52:

In Reply to: Re: To Indiana Dog . . . posted by India Jones on June 26, 2001 at 13:33:16:

...I would not judge the new cowhide so harshly based on a sample of the leather. I've owned all three versions of what you have in complete jackets, and my personal favorite IS the new finish cowhide based on it's appearance, the way it's wearing in, and the way it drapes. I prefer it much more than the lambskin or pre-distressed, and that's based on comparison between the three jackets. The new finish is currently the only Wested I now own, I like it that much. Just playing "devil's advocate". Nice looking jackets, by the way, and well done! Regards. Michaelson

: Thanks for the positive remarks, and no this is not a stupid question. Here are the full specs:

: Its a 40R TOD in lambskin "specially modified" with 3" taken off the waist (1.5" off each side) to give it a more tapered, less boxy look. The shoulders were taken in about 1/4" (retrofitted after I received the jacket). I specified the sleeve length at 25" but this was too long when I got the jacket due to the drooping shoulders. After the shoulder mod the sleeves fit just right. The rest of the mods are not noticable (two pockets, etc). Hope this helps and good luck with the post office.

: P.S. I've recieved leather samples of all three hides and the new hide is definitely not one I would recommend. IMHO its way too thick and has a stamped grain on it. Meaning it has sort of an orange peel effect on the surface. The leather is dyed dark brown and I don't think it will show any highlights when aged. I would go for either the pre-distressed hide (its not really pre distrissed its just a different skin altogether) or for the lamb (my personal favorite for the creasing, draping, thickness, feel, etc.)

: : This may be a stupid question, but, is your jacket the new hide or lambskin? Looks pretty sharp and seems to fit nicely. What were your mods besides the smaller collar. It is a TOD jacket correct? Sorry if you've mentioned this before or answered this a million times. I'm finally gonna try to deal with the US Post Office again and see what happens.
: : Thanks!
: : Nice pics BTW!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: