Yep..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from 141.11.234.62 on June 26, 2001 at 14:40:04:

In Reply to: Agreed... posted by Patterson on June 26, 2001 at 14:23:59:

Peter has also mentioned this to me. It also seems that he is no longer pre-distressing the lamb due to its thickness for fear that it may rip through. I guess he used to predistress the thicker lambskins before. I would also say that one of the disadvantages of the lamb is the top coating layer is too thickly sprayed on and too shiny. It does not seem to be an analine finish that ages quickly.
Now did I understand your comment correctly comparing the FS goatskin to the Wested hide that you prefer the Wested! I thought you loved the FS goatskin jackets. Or maybe I just misunderstood and you meant that it was the best choice for a Wested...
In terms of goatskin, is it as thin and lightweight as the lamb? You are recommending it as a summer jacket I assume? I have never owned any goatskin jackets, but I've been told that this is a very hard and stiff skin with alot of fat content and that it is not as soft as lamb. Is this true? By the way, I did not see any leather samples at Wested of goatskin when I was there recently. I'm sure that Peter would only do it on a special order.

Regards,
IJ
PS What about the French company?

: But Peter has admitted himself that the lambskin he was able to source on my last purchase (18 months ago) was significantly thinner than what he used on the movie jackets. I can confirm this as well, in that an original Raiders jacket I was fortunate enough to examine was made from lamb which my unpracticed eye would gauge was a good 50% thicker than the Wested Raiders lambskin I was wearing at the time.

: Granted, as a summer jacket, lambskin is tough to beat in overall comfort, but I'd still place high quality goatskin above it - having owned both. Then, there is kangaroo skin... Placing a new finished Wested cowhide side by side with a pair of Flight Suits Expeditions - one veg goat and one chrome goat - would leave me recommending the new finish cowhide to anybody wanting an accurate look from their Wested. The lambskin Westeds - IMHO - did not even warrant comparison.

: On predistressed? I've owned 2 Westeds in predistressed, and would not recommend this choice - simply based on the inconsistent way the hide seems to age. I had one which looked terrific, but which required regular treatments with Pecards. Another seemed to be fading much too rapidly. I've seen others that went completely "beige" on the owners in no time. I like a jacket to look distressed, but I prefer to do it myself (grin).

: Wow - a conversation about jackets that I'm actually enjoying! Thanks!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]