Re: Probably..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.201.103.106 on June 26, 2001 at 16:01:15:

In Reply to: Probably.. posted by India Jones on June 26, 2001 at 15:22:22:

FS Will send samples, but you may want to check out what Peter is doing with goat as well. I've owned goatskin jackets from other companies in the past and have not particularly cared for it. It has a reputation of having a highly pebbled finish. The samples I first received from FS really caught me off guard, though. The seal brown veg goatskin, in particular just blew me away. I saw this shortly after I had access to an original Raiders jacket, and could not believe how dean-on it was to that jacket. I had them make me an Expedition in seal brown veg goat, and that jacket is my favorite. It achieved the characteristic creases and draping within a few weeks, and looked drop-dead gorgeous in about 6 weeks. I did take to putting it in a dryer (no heat) for a total of about 6 hours spread over those 6 weeks. This helped the leather “release”, and it drapes perfectly as compared to what I see when I look on the screen.

Anyway, the FS goatskin seems to have a tighter grain than other goatskins I've seen - especially the seal brown veg. And again my veg goat relaxed within 6 weeks to where I would compare it to how my Wested lamb was when it came out of the box. The chrome goat is virtually identical in draping out of the box, but retains more "body" if you will? Again, I do not care for how "lifeless" lamb can get with age. I do own both a veg and a chrome goat from FS. I’ve had upwards of 12-15 jackets pass through my hands over the years – from Wested, US Wings, Flight Suits, US Authentic, Star Wars Insider, Disney – and all I have kept are my two Expeditions, my wife’s two Expeditions, and my son’s Lil Indy from US Wings. All remaining jackets are goatskin, except for one of my wife’s’ which is lambskin. She rarely wears it anymore, opting for her veg goat.

One thing you have to keep in mind with goatskin? If it is really goat - and I've seen a few pebble finished cowhide jackets being claimed to be goat - it is virtually impervious to abuse. I am convinced that a US Wings goatskin jacket could survive the second coming and still look new! The FS goatskin has less finish on it - making it really beautiful leather - but retains the very dense and inherently tough nature of goatskin. Again, I could see one of these lasting 30 years while seeing some pretty serious adventures.

Hope this helps!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: