"Lambtouch" is the same thing Peter called my predistressed Westeds - it is virtually the same leather as the US Wings Old Cowhide, IMHO (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-201-103-106.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on June 26, 2001 at 16:17:11:

In Reply to: Re: Well... posted by India Jones on June 26, 2001 at 15:10:58:

: Yes, I do believe that that's what IndyDawg owns (judging from his posts). To answer your question, I've only seen Peter once when I went to get my shoulder alterations at Wested, but I've had him on the phone tons of times and we have exchanged e-mails several times. He's actually a very pleasant fellow.

: Regards,
: IJ

: : ...I understand that that's what IndyDawg owns (owned?), and he loved his. I'm not completely agains the pre-distressed look. The best looking pre-distressed jacket I've seen and owned to date is the US Wings Old Cow version, and was VERY surprised at my reaction when it arrived. I'm sure that Peter's new version is tops, as old IndyDawg ranted about his and he's not that easy to impress, and I trust his judgement as much as I do Patterson's. I'd probably not purchase one of the new lamb touch Westeds simply because I'm totally satisfied with my new finish cowhide. That's the ONLY reason. Thanks for the additional info. Do you get to see Peter very often, by the way? Regards. Michaelson

: :
: : : The "new pre-distressed" hides Wested is now using (called the "lamb touch") are not really predistressed at all I believe. They are actually a treatment on the leather surface to artificially give it a pre-distressed look. Its actually a darker brown surface coating over beige dyed leather. The surface is then cracked (maybe by rubbing it at the tannery) to let the beige show through. Also, when the leather is folded (as it is in the seams) the beige shows through more giving it a distressed appearance. Maybe MK or Patterson could correct me if I'm mistaken on this. Having examined on up close, I think that this is what the new distressed hides are about. But then again you might not care if you're going for the "pristine Indy look" :)

: : : Regards,
: : : IJ

: : : : : Thanks for the positive remarks. I guess that's why Peter makes different hides, to suit everyone's tastes. There is a saying in French which translates as: "Tastes and Colors are not a subject for discussion". This is surely a case of both! No harsh judgement intended, just my own unsubjective personal opinion.
: : : : Well said, and totally agree!

: : : : : A few questions for you Michaelson:
: : : : Sure, fire away!

: : : : : 1. Have you owned one of the "new pre-distressed" hide jackets? I've heard that its only been a couple of months that Peter has been doing these.
: : : : I used to own two different pre-distressed versions, but as mentioned by Patterson, had experienced the same results in terms of fading, etc. Peter has started pre-distressing the new cowhide within the last few months, and the answer is no, mine is the non-distressed surface.

: : : :
: : : : : 2. Does your new hide not have that "orange peel" texture? I'm not sure if you know what I mean by this, but at least on the sample I have there seems to be a stamped grain.

: : : : No, mine does not have the "orange peel" texture. It's a tight grain, but not quite as tight as the lambskin, it's definitely tighter than, say, goatskin.

: : : : : 3. Has it shown any lighter highlights around the seams and edges due to aging and wear (like some of the jackets MK has aged)?

: : : : I've not worn it enough yet to obtain the highlights of MK's, but then I'm referred to by the jacket crew as the "prestine" jacket owner, and am a fervent applier of Pecards or like dressing at the first sign of any radical distressing on a jacket. Sure, it will eventually show wear, but I'm not a fan of the distressed look just for the sake of the appearance of the coat. We have a goat skin A-2 that was my first Indy jacket, and I've had in the household since 1985, and even after hard wear it still looks new, just broken in. I just like taking care of my gear. Regards. Michaelson

: : :
: : : :
: : : : : : ...I would not judge the new cowhide so harshly based on a sample of the leather. I've owned all three versions of what you have in complete jackets, and my personal favorite IS the new finish cowhide based on it's appearance, the way it's wearing in, and the way it drapes. I prefer it much more than the lambskin or pre-distressed, and that's based on comparison between the three jackets. The new finish is currently the only Wested I now own, I like it that much. Just playing "devil's advocate". Nice looking jackets, by the way, and well done! Regards. Michaelson

: : : : : :
: : : : : : : Thanks for the positive remarks, and no this is not a stupid question. Here are the full specs:

: : : : : : : Its a 40R TOD in lambskin "specially modified" with 3" taken off the waist (1.5" off each side) to give it a more tapered, less boxy look. The shoulders were taken in about 1/4" (retrofitted after I received the jacket). I specified the sleeve length at 25" but this was too long when I got the jacket due to the drooping shoulders. After the shoulder mod the sleeves fit just right. The rest of the mods are not noticable (two pockets, etc). Hope this helps and good luck with the post office.

: : : : : : : P.S. I've recieved leather samples of all three hides and the new hide is definitely not one I would recommend. IMHO its way too thick and has a stamped grain on it. Meaning it has sort of an orange peel effect on the surface. The leather is dyed dark brown and I don't think it will show any highlights when aged. I would go for either the pre-distressed hide (its not really pre distrissed its just a different skin altogether) or for the lamb (my personal favorite for the creasing, draping, thickness, feel, etc.)

: : : : : : : : This may be a stupid question, but, is your jacket the new hide or lambskin? Looks pretty sharp and seems to fit nicely. What were your mods besides the smaller collar. It is a TOD jacket correct? Sorry if you've mentioned this before or answered this a million times. I'm finally gonna try to deal with the US Post Office again and see what happens.
: : : : : : : : Thanks!
: : : : : : : : Nice pics BTW!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: