I love etymology!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool1155.cvx7-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on June 26, 2001 at 18:07:45:

In Reply to: That's a tough one. posted by India Jones on June 26, 2001 at 18:03:22:

I'll check and post my findings (if I find anything...).
FG

: Originally the Bretons are of Celtic decent, and the French language as a whole has heavy Celtic influences (mostly Langue D'Oc and Langue D'Oil mixed with low Latin). So is his name Celtic? Probably. You would have to look up the etimology of the name Beloq to be sure. I'm sure there's a website on this somewhere. I'll leave it up to you.

: : What can you tell me about his name? It's a Celtic name? Let's hear it.
: : FG

: : : Actually, judging from his name (Beloq), it could be of Britton origin. This is the region in the North West of France close to England called Brittany. These people are fervent Catholics and even if he did have Arab blood, I would be surprised if he was raised Muslim. You could be right about one thing however, he could have been a Frenchman born and raised in North Africa (or "pied noir" as they're called). In which case he still would not be Muslim. I just think he was a greedy chap who had little or no respect for religion. So why the line?

: : : : Is Beloq muslim?

: : : : Many French are muslim and Beloq may have some Arab blood. Maybe he
: : : : even grew up somewhere in North Africa ("mah family la-bel") or the
: : : : Middle East.
: : : : Beloq seems to believe in the powerful ark and in the powers of the
: : : : Hebrew god as well. Probably he's really an agnostic with a weakness
: : : : for mysticism.
: : : : FG
: : : : :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name: