"Killing is sin, but eating washes the sin away".

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dharma Guy from pool0017.cvx19-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on June 27, 2001 at 15:20:48:

In Reply to: Meat-eating Hindus? posted by Operator Jake on June 27, 2001 at 14:21:15:

Who said that? It wasn't Apu, I'm sure of that.
Anyway, not all Hindus are vegetarians. It depends on a Hindu's choice. He should follow his own Dharma as good as he can.
However, killing any animal for any other purpose than eating it is sacrilege. And cows are seen as life-giving.
Let's not kill cows, or better be VERY careful out there... ;)
FG
PS: Anectdote: I was traveling by plane and next to me was a couple from India. There were no vegetarian meals left. That's what they had pre-ordered. Anyway, after a few minutes of discussion, she decided on the fish, he chose the chicken. Make of this what you will.
PPS: McDonald's used beef-flavoring in their French fries that they sold in India. This resulted in a few minor riots. I guess they weren't very careful... :p

: Did anyone else ever notice that Indy seemed to think nothing at all of an Indian palace sitting down for a repast of snake, eel, eyeballs, bugs, and monkey brains?
: Did Mr. Lucas (or whomever) make a little boo-boo, or was it scipted to throw us (but not our hero) a clue?
: All I do remember is that when I was in the depths of kid-hood, one of the coolest things my parents would get me were storybooks of popular movies or other fantasies with plain old-fashioned cassette tapes that would advise you to turn the page with a ding (or in my case, a crack of the bullwhip). It inadvertently got me reading years ahead of schedule, and I know that it was mentioned in there that Indy made a comment to himself about the dining hall meal.
: Just covering their tracks for a serious blooper by educating the kids of the late 70's and early 80's?
: Ah, well. Let's be careful out there.
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: