This shocked me too...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from tmm-gw1.thmulti.com on June 28, 2001 at 05:40:10:

In Reply to: Meat-eating Hindus? posted by Operator Jake on June 27, 2001 at 14:21:15:

I thought that it was just ignorance on the part of the writers or they just wanted a shocking scene. Normally a pious Hindu would not eat meat (actually they shouldn't even eat eggs). Basically anything that has to do with killing an animal is frowned upon. Now not everybody Hindu is a religious fanatic and some do eat meat. Almost never beef however as this is one of the most sacred animals in Hindu religion. And even if they do eat meat, they would sure as heck not eat snakes, monkey brains, or eyeball soup! None of these things are ever eaten in India. Muslims in India do eat meat but none of those things is on their diet either. Now about Thugees, I'm not sure what's their culinary tastes are, but I have am assuming that it would basically be normal Indian cuisine (either Muslim or Hindu) as I have never heard of them having distinctly different dishes of their own, so this doesn't make any sense either. I think that it was just a purposeful hollywoodian scene put in the movie to shock American audiences.

Regards,
IJ

: Did anyone else ever notice that Indy seemed to think nothing at all of an Indian palace sitting down for a repast of snake, eel, eyeballs, bugs, and monkey brains?
: Did Mr. Lucas (or whomever) make a little boo-boo, or was it scipted to throw us (but not our hero) a clue?
: All I do remember is that when I was in the depths of kid-hood, one of the coolest things my parents would get me were storybooks of popular movies or other fantasies with plain old-fashioned cassette tapes that would advise you to turn the page with a ding (or in my case, a crack of the bullwhip). It inadvertently got me reading years ahead of schedule, and I know that it was mentioned in there that Indy made a comment to himself about the dining hall meal.
: Just covering their tracks for a serious blooper by educating the kids of the late 70's and early 80's?
: Ah, well. Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]