Understood

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on June 28, 2001 at 22:01:44:

In Reply to: Thanks. The reason I ask is......... posted by Rundquist on June 28, 2001 at 21:55:56:

The reason would be that it's the most expensive skin that FS uses, and the price pretty much dictates the few sales I'd say. The leather is about as dressy as one can get, but it's definitely not one I'd suggest one wear in the woods, as it would probably be just a bit better in wear and tear as the lambskin. The BIGGEST plus I'll say about the deerskin is it's ability to breathe! I wore mine in sub zero weather one day, comfy as I could be with just a long sleeve shirt one underneath, then went into a warm shopping mall and NEVER got hot. I was just as comfortable inside as I was outside. A really weird experience, I'll tell you. Just don't get anything like gasoline on it, as it would soak up just about any type fuel like that. I would not put it anywhere in the same plain in terms of toughness or sturdyness as goat, though. It's mainly a dress type leather, and should be worn on your trips to the store or town. Get you a chrome or veg. tanned goat from FS. That's my suggestion to you. Regards. Michaelson

: That I got one second hand (the deerskin). I was unprepared for how much I liked it. I really was not expecting to buy another jacket, at least not at the time. When I put it on, it felt like a second skin. It does have the snaking zipper (I don't care), as it is an early FS jacket. I never hear anything about the deerskin and wondered if I was the only one that liked it. You'll never hear me say anything bad against goatskin (I have had 3 G-1's in my life) but I liked this just as much. Somewhere down the line I am planning on getting another FS, but I haven't decided between the goat and the lamb. The goat that I saw was somewhere in-between the lamb and deer for weight. The deer was in-between the other two for softness. I know that goat wears like iron, but the deer seems to be real sturdy, especially for such a luxurious leather. I'm getting carried away here. The point of my post was that I wondered why I never hear about the deerskin. Does anyone else out there have one? Regards

: xxxxxxxx

: : Actually I had the deerskin first, then sent it back to have a goat skin made instead. The deerskin was VERY soft and well made, but the darn stuff kept "relaxing", and I had to have the sleeves shortened as they kept getting longer. The same with the lenth of the coat. I experienced the "snakey" zipper problem, but that didn't really bother all that much. I really liked the material otherwise, but really wanted the goatskin in the first place. At the time I ordered, he didn't have what we were after, but with the iron clad guarantee, Dave Marshall took my deerskin back and made me a chrome goatskin. I can't add anymore to the discussion than has already been said here. It's first class, well made, I opted for a brass zipper instead of the nickel plate this time and am very pleased. The temps went through the roof here since I got it, so I havent' really had the chance to give it a good "road test" yet, but hope to as soon as the weather cools down. Regards. Michaelson

: :
: : : Would you care to talk about their differences and which you like
: : : better. Also to those interested, I've decided to hold off on the
: : : different jacket pics until this weekend when I can shoot them in the
: : : day under natural light. Regards

: : : xxxx

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments: