Re: Strap buckle question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by IJFan from datatools.com on November 12, 1998 at 09:40:57:

In Reply to: Re: Strap buckle question posted by Matt walker on November 11, 1998 at 13:53:12:

I went through this recently too, so I'll expand a bit on the thread below.

There are two types of buckles you're likely to find at tandy. Both of them have three bars across, one will have a moving clasp bar (like a "normal" belt buckle). The other will have a fixed stud protruding from the back of the center bar.

I felt I could modify the first type to better suit my needs.

The first thing you need to do is to take a pair of pliers and remove the moving clasp bar. In theory, you then simply rivet one end of the strap around the center section and you're set, but I found that this didn't necessarily provide a very slip-less solution. So I did the following:

1. Make sure you've folded the leather over the center bar so that the rough, back side is out. You want rough, unfinished leather sliding against same for maximum grip.
2. This still didn't give me a truly slip free solution, so I put a bolster (one wrap of strap leather, held in place with electrical tape) around the center bar before riveting the strap around it. This made the strap travel through a more aggressive corner in the strap and helps it grip better.

Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps.

-IJFan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: