Re: INDY IV: WHAT DO THE FANS WANT? (IMPROMPTU OPINION POLL - JUST FOR FUN)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from 137.155.21.111 on November 12, 1998 at 10:08:26:

In Reply to: INDY IV: WHAT DO THE FANS WANT? (IMPROMPTU OPINION POLL - JUST FOR FUN) posted by HANNIBAL KING on November 12, 1998 at 09:35:26:

: Hey, how are you all doing?
: Sometimes ardent and rabid fans of a particular character can be the concepts worst enemy. They can, and I'm not laying any accusations here, become too possessive and clinging to that character. Witness the anger and bile spouted when Michael Keaton was chosen to be Batman in the 1989 movie - yet this celluloid image became the accepted one of the Dark Knight for a long time. Here in the UK some Dr WHO fans live in the past and constantly produce fan fiction littered with continuity references to the past and seem never to be able to see forward. I am an Indy fan. Probably as rabid a fan as most of you. I shiver with anticipation everytime I hear news about INDY IV. More so than I do about Star Wars 1, Bond 19, Batman 5 etc. I have some ideas of what I would and would not like to see in INDY IV, and I'd like to share them with you. If you have the inclination or the time please respond with your want lists.

: 1. ARTEFACT FOR INDY'S QUEST.

: 1st - The NECROMONICON (or some Lovecraftian relic). Indy against the real horror of the OLD GODS.
: 2nd - THE SPEAR OF LONGINUS. Another biblical relic, done in the comic book. . . but not very well.
: 3rd - EL DORADO. A South American slant. Totally different to anything apart from the teaser for Raiders.

: ARTEFACTS I'D HATE TO SEE.

: UFO'S (We have the X-Files for this. Indy isn't MULDER). ATLANTIS, THE GARDEN OF EDEN, NOAH'S ARK (just heard so much about them)

: 2. HEROINE (TYPE OF HEROINE):

: 1st - Why not give Indy a fiance that doesn't really know anything about his past, who is inadvertantly drawn into the action. A real classy society dame (Rene Russo, Sherilyn Fenn or Madeliene Stowe)
: 2nd - A Grad student wannabe - a female heavily inspired by Indy's past who drags him into the action (Sandra Bullock, Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore)
: 3rd - A Shady lady. Not like Elsa, but potentially an honourable cat burglar drawn into the adventure by the villains. (Michelle Pfieffer, Uma Thurma, Sharon Stone) - these actresses are just suggestions of type rather than concrete ideas. A newcomer would always be better.

: I don't want to see Marion or Willie back because it's been done.

: 3. VILLAINS:

: Anybody but the Nazi's, or an evil long lost brother because that idea is so corny you could can it)

: 1st - An occult organisation lead by an aristocratic villain (Christopher Lee)
: 2nd - The Red Chinese or Russians (but not done politically, just as evil comic book style protagonists).
: 3rd - A ruthless millionaire antiquites collector (slightly like Walter Donovan in concept, but played more like Lex Luthor).

: 4. SIDEKICKS:

: Surely Indy must have other contacts rather than Sallah? I love John Rhys Davies, but why not bring in an older Remy? We've had the very succesful father and son schtick, so there's not much point in doing it again (and that means not with Indy as a father, uncle or whatever either) - we're talking Indy . . . not Laurel and Hardy. And if we must have returning characters, then let's keep them consistent with previous adventures. Marcus Brody - a scholarly man with a penchant for adventure in Raiders "If I were a few years younger, I'd have gone after it myself!" to a close approximation of Nigel Bruces bumbling Dr. Watson.

: 5. TIMESETTING:

: Late '40's or 50's

: 6. LOCATIONS:

: Let's try to avoid deserts wherever possible. Jungles and Arctic wastelands (lots of possibilities in the Arctic . . . avalanches, dog sled chases)

: 7. NON MOTION PICTURE INDY EVENT I'D MOST LIKE TO SEE:

: 1st - Full legit recordeings of the soundtracks of TOD and LC.
: 2nd - Some companies renewing the novel and comic book franchise licenses.

: 8. IF, HORROR OF HORRORS, HARRISON FORD RETIRED THEN WHO?

: 1st - Dennis Quaid.
: 2nd - Bruce Campbell.

: Those are my thoughts on a whole load of Indy issues, but, I hasten to add that no matter what the film turns out to be, I'll be there front of the queue with the Raiders march playing in my heart.

: Seeya Hannibal

You've brought up some good issues. I vote for the bad guys being Red
China. China has every environment Indy could want: jungle, desert,
mountains, big cities. Plus, Mao had a very Hitler-esque cult of
personality. And there could always be an angry Lao Che out for
revenge... just my two cents. Or is that "shillings" or something?
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]