A few answers.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from 63.201.187.189 on July 03, 2001 at 17:24:01:

In Reply to: Rundquist, a few questions... posted by Marhala Bartender on July 03, 2001 at 16:24:29:

To be honest, I like the lambskin more than most people. The original jacket was made from lambskin (this is pretty much not in dispute). From what I'm told and from what I've gathered from looking at photos, the current grade of lamb that Wested offers is thinner than what you saw in the movies. The most important issue you are dealing with when discussing lambskin is durability. What's more important to you, that your jacket can be dragged under a truck, or is made out of the same material as the one in the movie. That's a question for you to decide. The other side of the coin with lamb is that it is soft and most importantly, lightweight. It's a very "cool" 3 season jacket. If you live in a hot place, this is a factor. With that said, Flight Suits offers a Lambskin in a thicker grade than Wested. They make first rate jackets but it'll cost you. I can't comment on the US wings grade of lamb. The hide (cow) that Wested offers is heavier and a bit darker than their lamb. It is very nice leather. There is no difference in price between the two. It will surely last and take abuse well. Since you can't really try on any of these jackets (unless you live near one of the factories) you should study any of the photos that are available and decide on the details that you like. Cost is another matter. You have to buy what you can afford, of course. On that point Wested has everyone beat, but you'll undoubtedly have to wait the longest to get your jacket from them. The last point, and it's a bit futile, is that there is no substitute for trying on a jacket. Happy hunting. Regards

xxxxxx

: What is it about the lambskin that you don't like when compared to the hide (I mean, besides durability)? And is it true that the kind of jackets used in the movies were made from lambskin? I kind of like the look of the lambskin and hear that it is lighter, thus more comfortable sometimes to wear. Does the hide one look like it and is there a price difference?

: Thanks for your reply though and I look forward to the pictures you might post.

: Grateful,
: The Barkeep.

:
: : I've owned both the lamb and the hide and without a doubt the hide is more durable. It has a nice finish, and is a nice jacket in general. I was planning on posting some pics, but I didn't get the chance last weekend. I'll try on the 4th and try to have them on Thursday. Regards

: : xxxxx

: : : Hey All,

: : : This isn't so much a poll as it is a chance for me to read up a little on jackets from the fans before I commit myself to purchasing one. All in all, I want to stick with Wested when I purchase a jacket (I am a stickler for details and authenticity sometimes) and I have to go with the Raiders model.

: : : What my question is- to all of those who own or have owned a Wested, or other brand, Indy jacket- which is your favorite? Material wise and model? I have been hearing about a cowhide Wested and was wondering how this compares to the lambskin in terms of wear and tear and appearance. Also, would it be wiser to have it pre-distressed or not? I do plan on wearing the jacket for several years, giving it plenty of wear and tear, so I want one that will last.

: : : Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

: : : Thanks!
: : : The Barkeep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: