Sticking my nose in...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-201-103-106.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on July 03, 2001 at 17:53:36:

In Reply to: A few answers. posted by Rundquist on July 03, 2001 at 17:24:01:

The lambskin I've most recently seen coming from Wested also lacks some of the characteristic grain and crease you see on screen. Look at the truck chase sequence where Ford is straddling the tire. You get a very good shot of the back of that jacket, and it is showing a lot of good grain. That is another reason I really like the new finish cowhide if you are going with a Wested - this particular leather has a lot of character. This is also another reason why I think goatskin ought to be considered - goat can tend to be very good when it comes to showing the nice creases and grain.

As an aside to Flight Suits - their lambskin does show the character of the underlying leather better than lamb I've seen used on a Wested - IMHO. Also, their goatskin selections are absolutely terrific looking - not over-pebbled or over-finished like some other goatskin I've seen. The grain is tight – especially on the seal brown veg goatskin – and the semi-aniline finish does not overpower the beauty of the leather beneath. You will pay more here, though.

One point to remember on lambskin? Those jackets you see on screen are really fairly new jackets that have been predistressed. IMHO - when lamb breaks in it loses its body, i.e. it just relaxes too much and become lifeless. I've owned several lambskin jackets, and I'd not buy another. Goatskin is just as light ounce per ounce, but does tend to come in thicker skins. While it does not breath quite as well a lambskin, it is definitely one of the lightest leathers I’ve ever worn, and just about the toughest skin around. Honestly, when it came to choosing materials, do you think they gave a rat's about anything but the look and ability to predistress easily on the production jackets? Maybe some consideration to comfort in 130 degree North Africa? Again, MANY subjective issues and questions the buyer needs to consider.

Anyway - just my 2 centavos...

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: