Wested's leathers...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-201-103-106.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on July 06, 2001 at 12:43:47:

In Reply to: Patterson... posted by Travis on July 06, 2001 at 12:10:09:

Hey Travis,

This one had a few of us chasing our tails a few years ago. Finally, somebody had the novel idea of calling Peter Botwright and asking him directly. For some reason, I want to say it was Matt Walker, but I may be mistaken.

ANYWAY, if you have a predistressed Wested, you have steer hide, which has a soft "lamb touch" finish. This finish is, to coin a much abused but very applicable phrase, buttery soft. It has a cracked dark brown (almost black) finish with much of the underlying natural tan brown showing through. The soft surface is highly amenable to the tumbling technique Wested uses to add the nice scratches to this jacket. The weight of the jacket is about twice what a lambskin jacket weighs – for some this is a pro and for some it is a con. I have owned 2 Wested's made from this, and enjoyed them. I would not get it again, though, for 3 reasons. First, I’m just not a big fan of that predistressed look anymore. MK has taught me to take the leap and age the jacket myself, and I think the results are FAR superior. Second, if I wanted steer hide in a Wested, I’d get the new finish – it is VERY nice stuff! Third, I’ve heard and seen some examples of the predistressed losing its remaining pigment very rapidly. The result is a very light beige jacket. Mine retained the pigment very well with regular treatments of Pecards.

Lambskin is really unmistakable. It is SO light in weight, you can forget you’re wearing it – not something I’ve EVER heard said of a steer hide jacket. The shorthand Wested uses on these is naga (steer hide) and nappa (lambskin). I’m not sure how they denote the new finish steer from the lamb touch/predistressed?

I hope this helps – cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: