He was brandishing the whip like a weapon.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on July 06, 2001 at 20:09:10:

In Reply to: Whip Crackin' posted by Austin Powers on July 06, 2001 at 19:42:25:

I've been cracking whips since I was nine (Raiders '81). Even though I don't have a David Morgan yet, I've had an Australian kangaroo hide whip for quite sometime. You are right about the fluid movements with regards to cracking. These movements in conjunction with quick wrist snaps are what is used for cracking. However, the movements Ford used in the Cairo scenes are more in line with how you would use the whip to actually strike someone. The sounds are not as dynamic and were dubbed in for sure. Ford really could use that thing. regards

xxxxxxx

: I had my 8ft Mark Allen out earlier today and I was finally able to get some real slick cracks out of it. Up 'til now, I was only succeeding in one forward-type crack, but now I was able to pull-off the "Circus Crack" and an over-the-head helicopter-type crack, both of which I saw on online bullwhip pages.

: While I was practicing, I remembered what they said on one of these webpages about being very gentle and fluid in your movements, which I wasn't able to do when trying to emulate Indy's manuevers in the Cairo bazaar. Indy really jerks the whip at a high rate of speed, which I found out does not make a decent crack, if any. So I slowed my movements down quite a bit and everything on the bullwhip sites fell into place.

: So I wonder if Ford was crackin' the whip incorrectly.

: Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]