For what I know of Copyright/ TM....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-tp083.proxy.aol.com on July 09, 2001 at 01:57:27:

In Reply to: Indygear & Lucasfilm's lawyers... posted by Sean on July 08, 2001 at 22:10:54:

Your point about Indy's attire being based on real clothing says it all. To my knowledge Lee does not use the name 'Indiana Jones', or 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' on any of his stuff. If he were selling the ENTIRE outfit, as a package, he may be subject to legal retaliation. Luckily for us no one source offers everything. The bag is an authentic WWII antique, no rights on the part of LF (Lucas Films) could be claimed. Same for DM's bull whips. David has been making the same whips since long before 'Raiders'. It was not specifically designed for the films. This exact premise applies as well to Alden. My concerns would be for Peters Bros, Wested, Noel Howard and Flight Suits. Not so much a concern for them, but for US. I'm sure that both Peter and Noel would stop offering items to the public upon request in the interest of their professional relations with Lucas. Joe (Peters) may have a problem due to the fact that he specifically designates his fedoras as 'Custom Indiana Jones hats'. And Flight Suits has gotten WAY, WAAAAYYY to ballsy with their description. My suggestion to anyone currently offering, or planning to offer 'Indy' stuff would be to describe these things as "Indy-like", or "Indy-esque". Avoid directly using the name 'Indiana Jones' or the film titles.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]