Re: Pistol pros and cons

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on November 14, 1998 at 13:50:51:

In Reply to: Re: Pistol posted by Luger on November 13, 1998 at 20:10:19:

: well, Nazi's prefered side arm was actually P.38.
: Parabellum was developed in 1900, long before there was any Nazis.
: American Company named Stoeger distributed the gun under "Luger"
: name in US in large quantities and Most of Stoeger bared
: American Eagle on the receiver.
: Also, US Army considered Luger as replacement for Colt 45 (the
: Peace Maker revolver) but opted for Colt 45 Automatic, which
: eventually became M1911.
: So, there is no good reason why Indy should not use a Luger.

Pros: slick action, toggle top breech, very accurate and balanced. Cons: Toggle top breech action very prone breakage with rough usage, jams frequently (that's why the action was never copied by any other manufacting firms), failed the US Army tests of being dropped and stomped in mud, shaken out, then fired. Failed on every try. The Colt .45 ACP did not fail, and was therefore adopted. I like the Luger, and have fired quite a few originals as well as the US made versions currently offered by Mitchell firearms, but they are like owning a fine sports car.....great in performance and show, but I sure would drive one off road. Interestingly enough, most of the B movie heros that Indy is patterned after back in the 1930's carried the Luger because of it's snazzy look. I'm sure even though Indy hated Nazi's, German engineering would not fall into that catagory. I can easily see a P-38 in his holster in the next movie. He was impressed after using one on the tank in Last Crusade. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]