Re: David Morgan bullwhip: current handle shorter than Raiders film version?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KyleS from 209.191.163.10 on July 17, 2001 at 16:59:44:

In Reply to: David Morgan bullwhip: current handle shorter than Raiders film version? posted by belloq on July 16, 2001 at 15:30:24:

: I noticed that the current David Morgan Bullwhip handle/grip section appears to be shorter than the film (Raiders) and prop photos I've seen. Has he shortened recently or since the films were made? Can one order it with a more accurate handle length?

: Thanks,

: belloq

The "Indy" whip that Mr. Morgan makes has a steel spike inside of it as it's base. I believe that currently all the whips he's making now have the similar 8" grip. I talk with Mr. Morgan quite a bit and his belief is that a good bull whip is heavy with a short handle in the "American tradition." In talking with Mark Allen I asked him about the handle length variations and he says that it's basically customer trends that cause the handle lengths to grow or shrink over the years. He tends to favor a longer handle though. I think that it's just personal preference on the part of the whip maker. Joe Strain makes an excellent "Indy" whip that has a handle length closer to that of the movies. I visited Mark Allen's shop a few weeks ago and compared my Morgan whip to the Joe Strain versions that Mr. Allen had in stock and the handle was an inch or two longer. If you do call Western Stage Props to order you should be very clear about what you want. Tight plait/loose plait, short handle/long handle, etc. etc. They're extremely nice folks and very helpful. They'll probably even put a white hide fall on there for you if you ask.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]