Re: Missing swastikas. Maybe they took them off so as not to offend all the German tourists they get there? (NM)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hazelton from 208.229.128.26 on July 18, 2001 at 01:00:54:

In Reply to: ACTION FIGURE DISSAPOINTMENT, AND SLIGHT INDYSHOW CHANGE AT MGM STUDIOS...(somewhat long message) posted by SWilliam on July 15, 2001 at 10:23:49:

: Hello,

: I must admit, I haven't been here for a while, so this may have been discussed before.

: The first thing I did was go to the trader outpost and loved the 10" vinyl doll, with the exception of the missing jacket, and the micro playsets. I bought all those sets and the doll (they were 30% off), I was dissapointed with the fact that they were out of the Action figure. I saw it because the only one left was in their display case and it wasn't in the box. I offered to by it but it wasn't aloud. They said it should be in within the next four to five weeks (thats when the warehouse will get them), so I figure I need to go back at least three more times before September 30th (Florida Play 4 Days pass). So I will get it eventually.

: The second thing I did was go to the Epic Stunt Spectacular. It hasn't changed with the exception of political correctness...if you can call it that. I noticed, and confirmed, by looking at older pictures I had before the renovation, that the swastica has been removed from the plane and the truck. Here's a great line from The Last Crusade "It tells me that goosestepping morons like yourself should try reading books instead of burning them!"-Henry Jones Sr. to Nazi Commander. The Nazi's were trying to erase the "bad" (to them it was bad) history by getting rid of old literature and books that went against their way of thinking. The swastica became a symbol of fear, hatred, and power, and so when the plane and truck at the Epic Stunt Spectacular have black plus signs on them it loses that historical feeling, and the way the movies were as well. I may be looking at this in an extreme way, but it seems that everywhere past symbols of hate, wich remind us of wrongs done in the past and make us reflect on those wrongs and why they should NOT be repeated, are being erased to try to make things better in some way. And by doing it we are atempting to erase that history.

: Sincerely,

: SWilliam

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: