Understood, with addition...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace113.utsi.edu on July 19, 2001 at 14:00:09:

In Reply to: Yes, "vinyl coated leathers" and Michaelson, my apologies posted by Marhala Bartender on July 19, 2001 at 13:39:53:

Marhala, my friend...you've been around here long enough to know that if you ever read a response from me like that, the reason is that I have probably not had enough coffee that particular morning, and should never be allowed near a keyboard. (grins) Please accept MY apologizes for that terse response. After rereading some of these things I write from the hip, it's a wonder I even try some days. Anyway, totally understand your apprehension in that light, but I'll have to admit that the Pecards folks are pretty interesting. They always write one thing, and yet advise almost the complete opposite when you talk to them. I was even told that the VERY best way to have the paste dressing to soak into boots was to apply heavily, put the boots into a plastic bag, then sit the bag in direct sunlight for several hours to allow the solar heat to "drive" the Pecards into the leather. It works, by the way, but if you read their own paperwork and site, it states do NOT apply heat of any kind to the leather, but allow the dressing to soak in at room temperature. Go figure! Anyway, the motorcycle dressing description can be read two ways, either as one statement, or as I was told..."for smooth leather......OR vinyl coated etc". The smooth leather statement covers all our stuff, and it definitely works, or at least has for me to date. I'm not saying it's the solver of all problems, as not everyone has the same situation in weather, but it's one to consider. Once again, sorry about that. I've had my caffine fix for the morning, and the medicene has kicked in. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

: Michaelson,

: Believe me, I give you plenty of credit and this poll was in no way, shape, or form an attempt to undermine the kind suggestions you provided me with for leather care. I was merely a little apprehensive because I keep going over to the Pecard website and if you click on the Motorcycle care, it states this for the Motorcycle leather lotion:

: "Ideal for all smooth and vinyl coated leathers"

: And then under the care tips, it provides a nice graph in which each of the Pecard products have an X next to the leather they are best suited for. The only X on the Motorcycle Leather Lotion was under the heading "Vinyl-colored coated leathers".

: Since this was the very first time I had heard about this product as used on a Wested, I just wanted to see what others were using as well. It was meant as no insult to your judgement or recommendation- I was very grateful for your help. I was just confused by the fact that they only recommend two or three other kinds of products for leather jackets, and the motorcycle stuff was for the more vinyl coated items.

: And frankly, I'm not ignorant. I know that motorcycle gear is leather. My best friend and his whole family are huge Harley fans and own a few of them. Some of the leathers are, however, treated with a vinyl coating in order to provide more waterproof protection. Not all, but some. I was concerned that this Pecard product was meant more for them. If you say that it will protect a new Hide Wested better than anything else available in the US, then I am not going to argue with you. In fact, I appreciate the help and will probably invest in some.

: I looked on the Indygear website and all I see are recommendations for Lexol or Pecards leather dressing, so you can see why I questioned this since your statements are on the site. I am a little afraid of some type of long-term damage if this product of Pecards wasn't meant for the Wested type of jacket, but that's just me being paranoid.

: I hope you hold no grudge or bad feelings towards me. You sounded pretty defensive, but I assure you, it was never my intent to question your knowledge of these products. After all, you are the Obi-Wan of this stuff.

: The Barkeep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]