Re: What's going on here?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2.frmt1.sfba.home.com on November 15, 1998 at 23:21:43:

In Reply to: What's going on here? posted by Mark on November 15, 1998 at 21:31:31:

: This has got to be the most hostile forum I've ever seen. It's great when there are really intelligent conversations going on and when people ask questions or answer in a polite fashion, but this is getting rediculous. It's hard to believe that somebody would call another person they don't even know a moron, or wanting to blast their personal grudges at each other. This is an Indiana Jones forum people, or have you forgotten that? Check out that cool logo at the top of the page- it's there for a reason.

Well, as the flamee in question, let me say I'm disappointed to be personally attacked, but the Indyfan forum is still the least hostile of the boards I frequently visit (check out the sports boards on CNN/SI if you want real flames). I've only had one other very minor incident (which I ignored), and that was a long, long time ago when I first started posting. Otherwise, I've found most people to be friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, cyberspace seems to be full of what they call board rage, and some people just feel the need attack others because they don't think the same way they do. There's no way to avoid it completely in an environment like the internet, and we should be grateful for the relative peace that we have. I've tried to be respectful to everyone and will do the same in the future, though I admittedly didn't lie still after having my mental faculties questioned. Maybe some people will be upset that I answered my attacker and feel that I further upturned the apple cart, but it's not in my nature to politely turn the other cheek and I feel like I had the right to defend myself. I'm sorry if some were offended, and I don't plan on continuing this incident into a full-fledged online drama, nor do I plan to let this get me down on most of the highly civil members who frequent it. My wish is that everyone could just get along nicely, but I also wish world hunger would end, and that war would go the way of the dinosaur. Dealing with potentially annoying people is the price we pay for having an open board, and it's still a price I'm willing to pay. I knew when I started posting incidents would occur, and I was prepared to accept the occasional unpleasantness. Ultimately, I think that this board will be fine, and that you shouldn't let rare instances of unrest deter from your enjoyment of the site.

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]